5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stupid fuel pressure regulator question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 01:50 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I'd use a MLS gasket. Might be a little high end for your build @ $75ish but simply the best gasket out there. I'd also get a custom cam cut if you have the extra funds handy.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:04 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Where can I get one? I don't care about cost as long as it last and seals the first time.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:15 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

You can get the gasket anywhere. Summit, Jegs, etc. it's a multi layer steel gasket when you search them. Fel pro Q1135 is a part # that will work .
Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by yurizx6r
Forgive me for not starting a new thread, but I have another question............... I got all my parts last night. The heads look great, but I'm wondering which head gasket to go with?

Trick Flow suggest http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fe...FQyEaQodY68AMg

My buddy suggested http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-9333pt1

I also saw: http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-h...kets-7995.html

I'm thinking a composite would be the best for used heads and since I'm not going to send my short block to the machinist. Eventually, I will buy a stroker short block, but years from now. I just want a gasket that will last and not leak. Thoughts?
THEN GET THE 9333PT1..........by far the best gasket out there for mild engines and light boost, never had them leak when installed properly and torqued properly........your build boes not warrant MLS gaskets!! NOR is your head surface or block surface properly prepped to use such......MLs to gaurantee a good seal need a certain RA finish.....and if your not decking and milling/cleaning up the used heads.....then I wouldn't slap MLS gaskets on unprepped surfaces.......some may win with no leaks, others don't.....it's a crap shot with out prepping surfaces.......so go with the 9333pt1's = good graphite gasket that'll fill the imperfections and seal up good!
Old 02-27-2015, 11:11 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I not sure about how mild or extreme a build has to be to warrant a good head gasket? After all this is probably the most important seal on the entire engine. But I do agree that sealing surface and more importantly a proper head stud be used. I would hope your brand new aluminum racing heads are flat and smooth OP. Keep in mind most modern production engines out there are using MLS gaskets so it's not like it's some exotic technology. Here is some interesting reading about MLS gaskets. When you make your choice at least you can say you were armed with information on whats right for you and whatever you choice to go with.

http://www.felpro-only.com/gasket-se...urface-finish/

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-head-gaskets/

http://www.victorreinz.com/EN/Servic...-Analysis.aspx

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 02-28-2015 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:37 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Thank you for your input! That's why I asked. The heads I got are in great shape, but they do have some MINOR pitting near a water jacket. They are resurfaced though. I'm not sure about the block because I have not taken off my old heads yet. I would feel fine with a steel core if the heads were new and the short block was machined, because if not I probably have a 50/50 shot of it working. I really don't want to have to rip everything apart because the head gasket failed or leaks. That's why I'm scratching my head because I don't want to go with an economy composite gasket. I'm not sure how long the composite gasket will last vs. an MLS or steel core (provided they work).

He also gave me used (but in good shape) ARP bolts (not the studs) which I think will be fine. I ordered some ARP torque lube and sealer for each bolt.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:31 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

I think Mjr46 is correct on this one. The MLS may be inappropriate this time. Eventually, I will find a short block that is machined, and then do it. My only hope is that the composite gasket will last at least 5 years, so I don't have to do this before I'm ready with a new short block. Before I even concern myself with a short block, I have a few other things I would like to take care of (coil overs, seats, a stronger transmission, and just drive it). In your options, do you think the composite gasket should last that long?
Old 02-28-2015, 02:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Thank you for your input! That's why I asked. The heads I got are in great shape, but they do have some MINOR pitting near a water jacket. They are resurfaced though. I'm not sure about the block because I have not taken off my old heads yet. I would feel fine with a steel core if the heads were new and the short block was machined, because if not I probably have a 50/50 shot of it working. I really don't want to have to rip everything apart because the head gasket failed or leaks. That's why I'm scratching my head because I don't want to go with an economy composite gasket. I'm not sure how long the composite gasket will last vs. an MLS or steel core (provided they work).

He also gave me used (but in good shape) ARP bolts (not the studs) which I think will be fine. I ordered some ARP torque lube and sealer for each bolt.
fel pro 9333pt1 will outlast your use, I run them on my supercharged vert as well as my 347 with nitrous, the composite graphite in the gasket allows for shift/different expansion rates of the aluminum vs the cast iron.....as far as newer engines running them....yes a lot of newer engines including the ford modular motors run MLS......but lets compare apples to apples, those deck surfaces and head surfaces have been prepped for MLS with the proper RA finish......and even though your heads have been resurfaced at one time......you mention some visible pitting this should steer you right to the composite graphite, they will fill in those imperfections.......if you doubt the 9333pt1 gasket, go make a thread on the corral and see how many tell you to use the 9333pt1 for your build vs the MLS........given the fact you are working with a 20+ year old enging block whose deck surface may have imperfections and not 100% true deck surface and some aluminum heads that have some minor pitting..........I would use the 9333pt1 in your case.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I think Mjr46 is correct on this one. The MLS may be inappropriate this time. Eventually, I will find a short block that is machined, and then do it. My only hope is that the composite gasket will last at least 5 years, so I don't have to do this before I'm ready with a new short block. Before I even concern myself with a short block, I have a few other things I would like to take care of (coil overs, seats, a stronger transmission, and just drive it). In your options, do you think the composite gasket should last that long?
I use to use 1011-1 and 1011-2.....they suck, blew the firing rings between cylinders......when spraying...lol switched to the 9333pt1, and going on 3 years and numerous bottles sprayed and still strong and no leaks
Old 02-28-2015, 02:30 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Thank you so much for your input and that information. That reassures me that I have made the correct choice. I did not fully comprehend the difference between the gaskets until late last night when I read everything bluebeastsrt posted. I'm going with the 9333pt1, it should last until I'm ready for a new short block. I'm leaving the car NA and at it's current power level until I'm ready for a stroker motor down the line. Until then I have other priorities to take care of.

Quick Reply: Stupid fuel pressure regulator question