5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stupid fuel pressure regulator question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 02:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by yurizx6r
Thank you so much for your input and that information. That reassures me that I have made the correct choice. I did not fully comprehend the difference between the gaskets until late last night when I read everything bluebeastsrt posted. I'm going with the 9333pt1, it should last until I'm ready for a new short block. I'm leaving the car NA and at it's current power level until I'm ready for a stroker motor down the line. Until then I have other priorities to take care of.
you'll be fine.......bluebeast is correct in that MLS gaskets are good.........but I've seen the 9333pt1 gasket for an OEM replacement hold up quite well.....for an oem gasket they are some of the best out there for a 302.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:40 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

He also gave me used (but in good shape) ARP bolts (not the studs) which I think will be fine. I ordered some ARP torque lube and sealer for each bolt.
You should never reuse head bolts. Once they are torqued the first time they stretch. I don't know if you read any of the links I posted but even clamping force across the gasket surface is more important than what gasket material you use. I recomend using studs instead of bolts. Studs are less likely to twist compared to a head bolt. I do understand that everything comes down to budget eventually.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 02-28-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:13 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking about buying new ones anyways. I just noticed that they didn't come with washers. For my build do you really think it's worth the extra 100 for the studs over the bolts?
Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I was thinking about buying new ones anyways. I just noticed that they didn't come with washers. For my build do you really think it's worth the extra 100 for the studs over the bolts?
if you have arp's you can reuse them, I've reused them many times, Arp will even tell you such.......only head bolts not reusable are torque to yield and I never reuse stock no name oem non torque to yields.....however ARP'S are a different story.......I run head studs on mine mainly because I run boost and nitrous............clamp vs bolt down = clamp always wins as torque is more uniformly dispersed. But with that being said, I've put together many combos that were n/a for people using good ARP head bolts with never an issue. if it makes you feel better buy new ones, they should have the washers and I use the ARP moly lube when torquing them down and thread sealer on the lowers

Last edited by mjr46; 02-28-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:31 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

To me it's worth the piece of mind. But everybody's budget is different. I'm also putting together a pretty high end build so it's a no brainer for me but in your case the more power you make the more you want so who's to say a shot of nitrous or a turbo won't happen down the road for your car. I know how I am so I over build everything the first time out.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:32 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Right. I know you can reuse ARP bolts, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to use them without the washers. I'm going to call ARP Monday to see if I can get some washers for them. If not I guess it's a good idea to buy new ones with washers anyways, so that's why I was asking about the studs.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Right. I know you can reuse ARP bolts, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to use them without the washers. I'm going to call ARP Monday to see if I can get some washers for them. If not I guess it's a good idea to buy new ones with washers anyways, so that's why I was asking about the studs.
I'd get the washers.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:07 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

So I decided to order new head bolts. Besides needing to buy the washers, I looked at the bolts and one was stripped and another two were rusty. Screw it, I'm ordering new ones. After flipping a coin I was about to order that studs, but then my wife called me and told me we have to take the dog to the vet yet again and her car broke down. I'm already rushing this project way before I was ready, so I went with the bolts to save some money. I hope I made the right decision.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:27 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you'll be fine with the bolts......only time I really opt for studs is when using boost or No2........on your mild build it won't know the difference
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I figured. I'll definitely will do the studs when I get a short block a few years from now. From what I hear the studs are a pain when putting heads on the car due to fitment issues anyways. Besides, I'm not planning on running boost or NOS with a stock short block. I'd be too scared to blow it until I'm ready to buy another one. THANK YOU all for your help and advice. I truly appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Stupid fuel pressure regulator question