5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

94 mustang gt sputtering out

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 06:41 PM
davmer24

Thanks exactly what i thought. Im pulling intake and checking injectors anyway so going to put new gasket in when i complete the process will post whether i have any issue changes or not. Thanks again
Old 03-30-2015, 02:25 AM
davmer24

Ok so swapped new intake gasket, injectors for good used ones i had before. Decided to throw in new cap and rotor also swapped my coil and wires and still same issues sadly replacing these and they aren't that old.

Anyway here is what i have found that if i unplug the MAF sensor the car runs just as it always did before issues started, except for it idles a lil ruff and sometimes wants to die here and there. Idle kinda jumps from 800 rpm to around 1200 rpm, with MAF unplugged.

Theres absolutely no sputtering, missing out, none of those issues, no backfiring none of it. Im lost guys i just replaced the MAF sensor about a week ago so i have no clue. If i plug it back in it starts all the issues again, remove it it quits, with it unplug im throwing code for MAF. But no codes when its plugged in. I keep scratching my head on this guy.

Any clue why unplugging the MAF makes them all go away except for a little ruff idleing and dying here and there which i had those issues with it plugged in as well.

I wish the car would send me some codes or something that would give me clue to whats wrong. I know ive said it many times but all your help is greatly appreciated. I've searched tons of forums and found many people having issues like this but sadly the ones who posted their final fixes none of them ever had the same cure and ive tried everyone that made since to me anyway aghhhh.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:10 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Did you ever verify that the car has 02's ? Just curious as it being a new car to you, you never know what the PO has done to the car just to sell it.

Have you done a base idle reset ?

Are you sure your pulling codes correctly ? It's odd that your car hasn't thrown one if it's running that bad.

You could take your car to a shop and have them check for vacuum leaks with a smoke machine. Or make your own and do it yourself depending on your ambition level. One little leak will cause all sorts of running issues.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 03-30-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:31 PM
davmer24

Oh yes forgot to mention did find out it does have O2 sensors. Im not sure i feel it should be throwing a code ive even had it checked and nothing, just the code for the fan and ac. All i know is unplugging maf makes the car run like it did before. Plugging it in makes it start sputtering, backfiring all that mess.

Not sure exactly how to do a base idle reset.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:33 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Have you checked the timing? How many miles are on the car? Possibility that it jumped time. Make sure your distributor is tightened down good also. These are pretty rare or DOH! possibilities, but just a few more things to rule out.

Did you replace with a stock MAF? any other modifications to the car? Over oiled K&N and MAF don't mix...
Old 03-31-2015, 01:03 AM
davmer24

Ive checked all that as well. Mechanic looked at it told me to replace all the things ive already done. When i told them if you would of listened i told you i replaced all that already, their like well i don't know then. Good techs are slim in this area lol.

If i could get a code at least then id have somewhere to start. When i was driving and it would start missing out and sputtering the light would come on. Id go home turn key off and its like it never happened codes wouldnt show up and light was gone.

Im wondering what would happen if i ran with maf unplugged, and just tried fixing the idling issue since its running fine with it unplugged.

Im going to take back the maf i bought and get them to replace it. Maybe they sold me a bad one, i have bought bad parts before. The car has been rebuilt but really beyond cam upgrade, and maybe heads, and exhaust change i really think its mostly stock. Seems to have stock intake and what not, mileage on rebuild around 55k original about 150k.

Car was originally a v-6 before motor rebuild and swap has new computer all though not sure if he went with 94 or went to the a9l not sure.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:42 AM
davmer24

Ok everyone new update but first off thanks to everyone all your help was much appreciated, and im very thankful to you all.

So the stang seems to be fixed even though supposedly the o2 were not that old i decided to replace them anyway boom issues gone problems fixed. Im guessing since i accidently ran the 87 octane it was making the car run richer than normal and fowled them up or something but my problems are solved. Decided to replace them anyway and im glad i looked that direction instead of continuing to pursue others. I wish it would of thrown me a code though would have made this much easier and faster but hey if everything was easy where would the challenges be lol. Again guys thanks for everything i know i probably didnt make this easy for you guys either but since i just bought it a lil while back i didnt know a whole lot about the car myself.