5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Block deck and straightedge question

Old 03-31-2015, 02:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by yurizx6r
The heads have been resurfaced, but not the block. If the block was machined, I'd feel perfectly fine using a MLS gasket. But what I'm not even sure if the composite will work because 4-5 thousands does not seem like anything a composite gasket wouldn't compensate for... but then again I'm not sure that's why I'm asking. What is strange is I didn't have a problem with the stock heads and according to the guy who I bought the heads off of the car they were pulled from was in perfect working order. I used brand new ARP bolts with thread sealer on the threads and torque lube under the washers on all the bolts, then I 4 staged the bolts using the proper torque specs and sequence. I just don't know what could have caused my issue.
did you use the alignment dowels that are in each of the 4 corners of the block??
Old 03-31-2015, 02:21 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

There are only 2 per cylinder head, but yes I did use them and I changed them.

@ Bluebester, right. I sent the heads out, but the block is still in the car. That did not get resurfaced.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

There are only 2 per cylinder head, but yes I did use them and I changed them.
that's what I meant........from what I can see in the first pic.......it's either a result of untrue surface or installation error/head could of shifted/not seated properly.........hard to guess at what you may have missed or done incorrectly, even though you're positive you did it all correctly if untrue surface is not the case........I'd lay a straight edge across the whole deck surface to check it
Old 03-31-2015, 02:32 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
he didn't deck the block
LOL sorry Im at work and doing 3 things at once...Carry on. Hard to imagine the install isn't done right if all four dowl pins are in place. and torque specs were followed. Don't you just love working on old cars.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 03-31-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:15 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

"Yes." lol I'm just hoping it was the lop sided deck. The short block is in excellent shape, has great compression, and I still have the laps from factory in all the cylinder walls. It would be a shame to throw it out, but by the time you buy all your parts and pay for the labor, it's cheaper to buy somebody's "I just built this fresh motor with forged everything and my wife just go pregnant so now I have to sell it." Like I said, I can see it either way, but I'm just not sure 4-5 thousands could make a composite gasket leak.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

", it's cheaper to buy somebody's "I just built this fresh motor with forged everything and my wife just go pregnant so now I have to sell it." .
you'd think it is......until after you install the motor and realize it burns a quart of oil every 5-600 miles and the damn sob story of the prego wife was just a cover story for the real problem......been that route more than once
Old 04-01-2015, 06:01 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, that's true. But when you're poor you have to take a gamble sometimes. That's what happened with the heads. You cannot always afford to buy new, so you take that chance sometimes. I'm sure if I had bought everything new I would have made it to the track, but it's also my fault for taking somebody else's word for it instead of testing it more. My OCD will not overlook this next time. lol Either way, I'll be grateful if it turns out just to be the heads and not the block at this point. I got the heads back late yesterday, they look really good, so I guess there is no other way to really find out besides putting them on again and doing a leak down test with a compression test before I try to start it.

Last edited by yurizx6r; 04-01-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:26 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

may luck be with you this time
Old 04-02-2015, 05:27 PM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

dont gamble. save your money and do it right.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:22 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

In my 40+ years of experience with different makes of American V-8 blocks, decking should be a standard rebuilding procedure.
As a fact, I've never seen one that was what the spec's said it was supposed to be....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Block deck and straightedge question