5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear main oil seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:39 PM
DanKoozer

Default Rear main oil seal

I'm replacing my clutch and am considering replacing the rear main oil seal. There is a little "wet" sign of oil seepage on the pan. Not sure if it's the rear main oil seal or pan. I bought a Fel-Pro seal but am a little nervous about replacing it Don't want to make it worse.

I don't want to go through removing the drive train again later either to just to replace a leaking real main seal.

Any "fool-proof" (I know this depends on the quality of the fool : ) ) advice gladly accepted.

Dan
Old 04-13-2015, 10:48 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I use the ford racing viton seal....and if you want a fool proof method, use a speedy sleeve on the crankshaft and then install seal
Old 04-13-2015, 11:20 PM
DanKoozer

I didn't think of the speedy sleeve.

I'm a little concerned about having a problem getting the old one out without messing something up. I have a lot of auto repair experience but haven't replaced a rear main seal in an engine that wasn't dissembled.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 04-14-2015, 01:01 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Pick up a “Shaft In Seal Puller" from your local autoparts store. Makes removing the seal extremely simple.

Amazon.com: Lisle 58430 Shaft Type Seal Puller: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 58430 Shaft Type Seal Puller: Automotive
Old 04-14-2015, 06:57 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you don't need any special tools...................all I ever use is lightly tap a flat blade screwdriver in between the seal and the block and pry it out...never have I damaged anything by doing it this way.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

I usually slide a large flatblade screwdriver between the shaft and seal and then pry against the EDGE of the shaft to pop the seal out. DO NOT pry on the shaft where the seal rides or it will leak. Id also be weary of prying against the block and gouging it.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:49 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I would be wary of any prying around the housing and especially around the shaft. If you gouge the metal it will leak. Especially if you gouge the shaft. The tool I suggested eliminates any need for prying and the possibility of gouging the housing or crankshaft.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:53 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I have used a flat head screw driver in the past. Your going to have to be pretty aggressive to break anything.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:18 AM
DanKoozer

Default It's Out!

Thanks everyone for the input. I did buy the Lisle tool but couldn't get it to work. I just couldn't seem to get it at the right angle for a good pry point. Tried the screw driver method and it worked great. The old seal seemed stiff (old) after removal. Probably original.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:38 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by DanKoozer
Thanks everyone for the input. I did buy the Lisle tool but couldn't get it to work. I just couldn't seem to get it at the right angle for a good pry point. Tried the screw driver method and it worked great. The old seal seemed stiff (old) after removal. Probably original.
that tool you bought is junk!! I own one and all it is suppose to be for is removing camshaft oil seals, not big rear main seals....bought mine from the matco........glad you took my advice..........and if you damage something such as the block ever doing what I recommended, you'd have to of been prying like an animal......bluebeast is correct

Quick Reply: Rear main oil seal