5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

For anybody with a BBK cold air intake...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:24 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Default For anybody with a BBK cold air intake...

Hey guys, I was doing a boost leak test on my foxbody to fix an idle issue I have been having with my new motor when I noticed air was leaking out of the rivets on my BBK cold air intake pipe. Now I'm not trying to blast BBK or whatever, but I'm just trying to give anybody the heads up to double check their setup if they are having problems.

My experience was air was coming out of both rivets. Was it enough to cause problems... who knows, but unmetered air is unmetered air no matter how big or small. I called BBK to ask them if they would send me a replacement pipe without the rivets, but that does not seem possible. I ended up just welding the stupid pipe (I hate chrome anyways), and I'm just going to powder coat it flat black to match my Trick Flow intake anyways. I should not have to bother with this or spend the money on powder because of stupid rivets, but hey whatever. Heads up. I suggest to anybody even if you are not having a problem to do random boost leak test (whether you're NA or not) and check for dumb problems like this. The boost leak tester tool is 25 bucks shipped, and I've found many leaks with it. The only problem is you obviously need an air compressor.

Once again, I'm not trying to knock BBK...except for the dumb idea to put rivets on a pipe (and baby blue connectors...seriously, black would be a nice option), it's a very nice intake and a great product.
Attached Thumbnails For anybody with a BBK cold air intake...-img_20150429_105918.jpg   For anybody with a BBK cold air intake...-img_20150501_081438.jpg  

Last edited by yurizx6r; 05-01-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if it were a boosted car..the leak would matter...........n/a it does not create a problem nor draw enough in/hg through those rivits to ever affect adaptive strategy to the point where it'd max fuel trim values out.....done plenty of bbk set ups and never has it caused an issue so bad to cause a lean condition to where adaptives were maxed out
Old 05-01-2015, 04:59 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

But why were you doing a boost leak test, your not running any boost? As MJr said above, your not gonna suck enough air through those little rivets to even notice any thing...
Old 05-01-2015, 10:08 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Both of you guys are correct. I seriously doubt it would have caused much (if any) of an issue whatsoever. One rivet was not creating that much of a leak, but the other rivet was actually pretty decent. Either way, that's a stupid design to begin with. Put your badge on with glue, etch it, paint it, or whatever, but do not put rivets in it. That's just dumb. I'm just trying to share an experience just in case it helps somebody else.

I am not boosting, but I just use the test to help me find vacuum leaks. It's just a tool that I've used a few times that has been very useful. Using it, I have found at least 8-9 leaks since I've had this car.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:04 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by yurizx6r
Both of you guys are correct. I seriously doubt it would have caused much (if any) of an issue whatsoever. One rivet was not creating that much of a leak, but the other rivet was actually pretty decent. Either way, that's a stupid design to begin with. Put your badge on with glue, etch it, paint it, or whatever, but do not put rivets in it. That's just dumb. I'm just trying to share an experience just in case it helps somebody else.

I am not boosting, but I just use the test to help me find vacuum leaks. It's just a tool that I've used a few times that has been very useful. Using it, I have found at least 8-9 leaks since I've had this car.
that's fine, but just understand that those rivit leaks are not vaccum leaks as they are before the throttle plate........anything behind the throttle plate or anything connected to the main plenuim would constitute a vaccum leak
Old 05-03-2015, 04:53 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

...........................dammit. You're right. OK, fine "unmetered air" then. Like I said before, it's probably not going to cause any issues, (especially for NA cars), but either way there shouldn't be any unmetered air coming from a simple cold air intake.