5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

gas gauge nightmare + brake issue

Old 05-09-2015, 08:07 PM
FourEyed5Oh

Default gas gauge nightmare + brake issue

Hey guys Im having trouble getting my gas gauge to work... heres some backround on it.
i own a 1986 fuel injected 5.0. When i purchased the car, the gas gauge would go directly to full, but the low fuel light would come on. I recently installed a new sending unit (correct for the 1986 5.0 from lmr) nothing changed at all. The tank would still ping out to full and the light would still come on. No matter how much gas was in the tank the gauge showed full and the low fuel light comes on. I recently ordered a new wiring harness for the fuel tank,the plug for my fuel pump looks like it was chewed on by a dog so it was unavoidable. i placed a order for one for a 1986 but when it arrived it said 87-93 on it, the plugs were identical to the one i took off so i decided to plug it in and see what happened. Now my gas gauge reads empty but the low fuel light still comes on. Ive heard of people testing the gauge with resister packs wired up but i still got quite a bit of gas in it so id rather not ad any electrical sparks to the situation. I have a harbor freight multimeter but im not sure how to test the ohms comming off the sending unit with it. at this point i assume the gauge is bad but has anyone had a issue like this before?? im trying to use the car as a daily driver but its quite difficult with out a gas gauge as my odometer doesnt work due to different gears in the rear end.

another issue im having is i just had to install a new proportioning valve. and ever since i cant seem to get my brakes right at all. everything in the braking system is new and ive bled it multiple times. ive turned the **** on the valve all the way to increase and all the way to decreased with no noticeable difference. does anyone know how to adjust these for proper factory braking? or at least where i should start with it?? thanks
Old 05-11-2015, 08:22 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Try Google or YouTube for a video on ohm reading a fuel pump sending unit and guage.

And just to clarify, you installed an aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve ? Did your brakes work properly before this install ?