5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need advice on what Heads/Cam/Intake please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 12:33 AM
50jeff

Default Need advice on what Heads/Cam/Intake please!

Hey everyone, I have 1993 5.0 and have limited knowledge. I purchased the car with some good necessity mods (suspension, sub-frame connectors, etc.) but now I'm ready to do heads/cam/intake. However, I don't really know what's the best option.

The car is pretty stock in regards to power...only has CAI, shortys, MSD dist, catback, and new diff with 3.55 gears.

From what I've seen, I was thinking an E303 cam and GT40X heads? My goal is to just to get the best I can on natural aspiration, within a "normal" common budget.

I've seen the couple lower-end top-end kits on americanmuscle and latemodelrestoration....but didn't know if that's the best way to go or not? Should I buy everything separate? What things would I need outside of the kit?

Thanks everyone for listening and I appreciate the advice!

P.S. Also, I apologize because I found like 5 different Mustang forums and since I'm new I didn't know which one was "the" one...so I posted this on all.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:19 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 50jeff

From what I've seen, I was thinking an E303 cam and GT40X heads? My goal is to just to get the best I can on natural aspiration, within a "normal" common budget.
that has to be the worst choice/combo in the world................what is the amount you have for a "budget"?? if you want a decent pre thought out kit.......that'll produce okay results.....get the trick flow kits......however if you want to max potential for a little more cost ........I'd get some trick flow twisted wedge 170-185 cc heads, get a holley systemax 2 ported by tmoss over on the corral.net.......then get a custom cam designed by www.flowtechinduction.com and some comp gold series roller rockers and all of your gaskets of course and finally a dyno tune..........with option 2 you should easily hit 300-325 rwhp and maybe more if you pay attention to detail when assembling.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:57 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Yea dude you wont be happy at all with the parts you mentioned. Here's a complete kit that will give your car a lot of pep without breaking the bank. Of course every bank account breaks at a different level!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-k514-350370b
Old 05-17-2015, 07:59 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'm fond of the Trick Flow Track Heat package.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:46 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Problem with low budget cars is always the same. They end up being slow......
Old 05-18-2015, 06:25 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Everybody is right, the Ford Racing heads are not going to satisfy you. I'm not sure what your budget is, but I just went through this and I will tell you to not go cheap on the heads. I have AFR heads now and the quality of them is superb. Listen to all these guys, they know what they are talking about. The intake does not matter that much, but if you want something simple and easy (with no fitment issues) go with an Edelbrock PerformerI or Cobra intake. The bigger/better ones like the Trick Flow and Holly Systemsmax II are big and bulky and may give you trouble with the a/c line fitment. IMO they are worth it, but it's up to you. As far as the camshaft goes, you have plenty of options.

As a side note the best advice I can give you:
1. spend the money on the lower manifold gasket and get the Ford Racing $50 gasket they sell at american muscle/latemodelrestoration/amazon (amazon is the cheapest)
2. ARP bolts, ARP bolts, ARP.......bolts. Did I say ARP!?
3. Give yourself plenty of time to do research and figure out what you are going to need.
4. Give yourself plenty to time to do this project. Things can go wrong and don't try to get it all done in a day/weekend. Say a timing cover bolt breaks off in the block when you go to swap the camshaft, that may take some time (happened to me) and that is why God gave us ARP replacement bolts. lol
5. and above all else.......................DON'T buy used heads. lol

Last edited by yurizx6r; 05-18-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:46 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Post number 11 here has spoken the truth!!! ED "the Man" Curtis!!!

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...ke-please.html
Old 05-18-2015, 11:58 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Yep^
Old 05-18-2015, 08:05 PM
50jeff

haha, see that's why I came to the forums so I don't end up buying the worst combo in the world! Thanks a ton for the info from everyone, I really do appreciate the time for all the responses. Sounds like I need to do the trickflow if I go the package route from all the posts here and the other forums.

In regards to the budget, nothing specific, but probably $2-4k. Honestly whatever it takes within reason to make "good" power for the street and stay somewhat of a "daily-driver". I know that's still leaving it wide open, however, if it's not your all-out dream car you think you're going to die with, or you're not trying to make it on the top-10 street outlaws list, you have to stop somewhere within reason and know when you reach the point of diminishing returns for a street daily-driver. Mine will also go on the highway some. All that said, I like doing things right, so I'm always more likely to spend what it takes to do it right with quality parts.

Thanks again!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:45 PM
SWGSSSlacker
1st Gear Member

I bought and installed this kit. It really brought the car to life! Happy with the performance of this kit but ready to set my car on fire now due to it being a PITA! :-)

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...op-End-Kit-Blk

Quick Reply: Need advice on what Heads/Cam/Intake please!