5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ford AOD output shaft play

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:20 AM
8v-of-fury

Default Ford AOD output shaft play

I have the tail shaft housing removed for a possibly bad bearing and seal..

However it also seems like the output shaft of the trans has a good amount of play to it, being that this is the first time I have done this specific work.. I don't know if it is too much or just what is correct.

Now I get that the rear of the output shaft is supported by the drive-shaft yoke being in its bushing, so perhaps this isn't even an issue?

I bought another used tail-shaft housing JUST IN CASE when I pulled mine it was ruined. It had a used bushing in it, but my driveshaft has exactly the same play in it as it does in my old housing bushing. Both bushings look OK and the driveshaft yoke has no wear grooves to speak of.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:48 PM
8v-of-fury

I did eventually get it all back together but the car is not in driving condition.

However, upon sitting another 9 months when I backed it out of the garage it is leaking trans fluid from the rear of the trans again.

I am deadset that the transmission is ruined.

Are all pre-93 2wd AOD's the same and can be swapped around?

Trying to find a suitable parts car now.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:41 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

I'd try a new tail shaft seal first I had a ranger that ate two aftermarket ones on both the auto and the manual trans after I swapped them over. Mine never leaked bad but enough to make a mess in the driveway. I was thinking I had the same problem and tried a motorcraft seal and it actually sealed around the slip yoke much better. They are only about $5 maybe worth a shot to try a different brand or two before paying for a whole trans. I also used a very fine grit sandpaper just to get the high spots. It doesn't take much to make them leak. Maybe worth a shot for a few bucks in parts.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:55 PM
8v-of-fury

Naw, I am sure the trans is dicked. The output shaft has like 1/4" of sideways play.

ME thinks she's done b'y.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:24 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Yeah that's a lot. Check out LKQ I paid $500 for the manual I swapped into the ranger and included a 2 year warranty from them. They may have something you can use.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:41 PM
8v-of-fury

Would the 3.8L V6 AOD's be a viable candidate?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:39 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Possibly if the bolt pattern matches or if you can swap your bellhousing. Also check all your connectors. Ford likes to change wiring from year to year.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:15 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

3.8 has the same bellhousing pattern, but the newer 94 and up 3.8s will be aode or 4r70w. The aod had two different tailshaft lengths in rear wheel configuration. Measure yours before you grab one to make sure it's the same.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:12 AM
8v-of-fury

Originally Posted by 09GT/CS
Possibly if the bolt pattern matches or if you can swap your bellhousing. Also check all your connectors. Ford likes to change wiring from year to year.
Mechanical trans, no wiring at all.

Originally Posted by mongolchuck
3.8 has the same bellhousing pattern, but the newer 94 and up 3.8s will be aode or 4r70w. The aod had two different tailshaft lengths in rear wheel configuration. Measure yours before you grab one to make sure it's the same.
Ah thats perfect. Yes I was aware of the AOD being changed to the electronic model in the 93-94 area. There is a 3.8 thunderbird super coupe near me for stupid cheap, running and driving. So I think I am going to go that route.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:48 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

What year is the tbird? Same as with mustangs the electronic trans took over in 94.

Quick Reply: Ford AOD output shaft play