5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

92 Mustang firing issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Cosmocrazy

Default 92 Mustang firing issue

First off let me tell you guys my set up. 302 board 30 over, gt40 heads new springs and roller rockers 1/7, Trickflow street heat intake, 75mm throttle body, 24lb injectors, MAF to match the injectors. F -303 cam. The issue I'm having is with the ignition. I start it up she fires, but I have to keep the gas pedal floored to keep it running. Soon as I let off she dies. I'm thinking it has something to do with the timing. Please help.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

check timing, check for any vaccum lines off, expecially under the intake.....
Old 07-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Cosmocrazy

Do you know what degree I should be at on the timing? I think stock is 10 degrees after TDC. Any help would be great!
Old 07-26-2015, 07:44 PM
Cosmocrazy

Originally Posted by mjr46
check timing, check for any vaccum lines off, expecially under the intake.....
I just installed the intake and plugged 3 of the 4 holes. I used 1 that branched off into 3 that goes to the vacuum tree on the drivers side, and one to the fuel pressure regulatior and the other one goes to a vacuum cluster on the passenger side. The hole on the side of the intake is going to the PVC valve.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:09 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Verify timing marks on balancer with a wooden dowel down #1 cyl. Bring to TDC on compression stroke and verify timing marks. Should be pretty close to 0/0.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:03 PM
Cosmocrazy

Ok just checked the timing, it's good. Checked the volts on the throttle position sensor it is at 1v. Checked the EEC got code 11, backup memory gave me 56, and 96. Tried to start it, starts but I got to keep the pedal all the way down to keep it running, also sounds like it is spuddering.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:03 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

check fuel pressure, the filter could be plugged, or pump went bad. either those or there's a bad vac leak somewhere.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Cosmocrazy

Originally Posted by silver91gt
check fuel pressure, the filter could be plugged, or pump went bad. either those or there's a bad vac leak somewhere.
The fuel pump is new. Double and triple checked the vacuum. All is good. I'm starting to think the injectors are not getting 12 volts.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:05 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

is the maf a c&l by chance? when I had one of those many years ago, I put the sample tube in backwards and it ran like crap, had to feather the gas to keep it running.

the injectors have 12v on them all the time, the computer grounds them to turn them on.

going wot will shut off the fueling to avoid flooding. if it sort of runs when at wot, there could just be too much fuel.

you said you checked the timing, was this with the spout removed, and at idle? it could also be a timing issue. last time I timed my motor after the re-rebuild i had it way off and it would also only stay running if I gave it gas.

the timing is supossed to be at 10 degrees before top dead center. you said 10* after tdc which is wrong.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:02 PM
Cosmocrazy

Originally Posted by silver91gt
is the maf a c&l by chance? when I had one of those many years ago, I put the sample tube in backwards and it ran like crap, had to feather the gas to keep it running.

the injectors have 12v on them all the time, the computer grounds them to turn them on.

going wot will shut off the fueling to avoid flooding. if it sort of runs when at wot, there could just be too much fuel.

you said you checked the timing, was this with the spout removed, and at idle? it could also be a timing issue. last time I timed my motor after the re-rebuild i had it way off and it would also only stay running if I gave it gas.

the timing is supossed to be at 10 degrees before top dead center. you said 10* after tdc which is wrong.
No it's a promracing brand. The air flow arrow is pointing to the throttle body. I checked any typed the wrong mark on the timing it is setting at 10 BTDC. Got to take the upper intake off to check the volts to the injectors to make sure they are firing.

Quick Reply: 92 Mustang firing issue