5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Foxbody electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:58 PM
evo8

Default Foxbody electrical issue

I've beaten my damn head again the wall on this one guys. This is my last attempt before dropping it off at a shop.... 91 supercharged gt convertible. I was jumping a car off and it took about 30 seconds to get enough "juice" to get the other car started. Once that car started, mine died. The number 8 fuse (radio, power mirrors, interior courtesy lights, engine courtesy light) keeps blowing immediately. I've disconnected the radio, power mirrors, power windows, locks. I have no engine courtesy light as the vehicle has a cowl hood. Any advise is greatly appreciated
Old 10-07-2015, 07:26 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a direct short. If you have no under hood light check the plug for it. It should be up by the master. Is your car still charging after the jump?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:32 PM
evo8

My car would not start after dying and still will not. The vehicle just turns over. I do not hear the fuel pump turning on either. I'll check under the hood for the light again. Thanks
Old 10-07-2015, 07:49 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

I'll assume the jumper cables were hooked up right but it sounds like you might have fried the fusible links up by the solenoid. Is there any other power? Headlights, wipers etc.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:07 PM
evo8

Yes,the cables were hooked up correctly. I just checked. The headlights - wipers - turn signals -locks function as they should. There were 5 fusible links under the hood and all of them were also good.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:57 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Verify the fuel pump primes when you turn the key.

When my ECM (computer) took a crap, it wouldn't prime. I'm not saying run out and but another computer without more testing, but it sounds like something took some stray voltage and fried something somewhere. Don't suppose you have a backup computer to swap in and verify ?
Old 10-08-2015, 07:50 AM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

I'm leaning towards fried components too but make sure you find your short first. When the other car started it might have caused a spike your fox couldn't handle or the draw from trying to start it killed your alt.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:23 PM
evo8

The alternator is pretty new and the upgraded newer mustang version. I do not recall which model but it was a bolt in - damn nightmare with a supercharger though lol. The pump does not come on when I turn the key forward. I wasn't sure if that was powered through the #8 fuse as well. I disconnected the connection behind the tank to try to eliminate that possibility to, but it still immediately blows. This fox has an inline fuel pump as well so accessing it is no problem if need to. Orange peel - I do not have an extra ecu. I'm fairly certain that I can find one online if you think that could be my culprit.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:06 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

Check in your door jambs where the wires run out to the door. some times they will wear against the inner kick panel/firewall area and create a mess.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Synster

How bout the fuel pump relay under the seat?

Quick Reply: Foxbody electrical issue