5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What to expect

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 05:08 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Default What to expect

So 6 months ago I blew up my transmission. I've managed to save and scrap together money for a Performance Automatic AOD, custom converter, full manual valve body, B&M hammer shifter, solid motor mounts, solid transmission mount and a Stiffers transmission crossmember. Everything is ordered and I will have it all in my hands, or at least floor, mid November. What I want to know is what should I expect from this combination? The engine is currently stock with a 1/2 phenolic spacer, 2 cats removed, and no mufflers. Suspension is also stock. The car only has 57,000 miles confirmed through the DMV. Anyone else running something similar? I just want to know how different the car will behave over the stock mounts and auto.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:13 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I'd expect it to run slightly better than it ran before. The converter is the only performance upgrade and the cars motor isn't making a ton of power.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:13 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

Solid trans mount with solid motor mounts is asking for a cracked bell housing. Even on a stock motor you need a little give. Get a urethane trans mount. Stiffer than rubber but has a little cushion.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:18 AM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mongolchuck
Solid trans mount with solid motor mounts is asking for a cracked bell housing. Even on a stock motor you need a little give. Get a urethane trans mount. Stiffer than rubber but has a little cushion.
The American Muscle guy told me that would be the best setup for a built auto
Old 10-27-2015, 01:01 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 84CopperGT
The American Muscle guy told me that would be the best setup for a built auto
he's inexperienced and most likely is regergitating what he read in a magazine and never done it himself........if it's not a full on drag car, use poly mounts and if you feel you must use solid......do the motor in solid and leave the tranny poly..........seen it more than once on s/s set ups crack the bell when all is solid
Old 10-27-2015, 10:03 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1 ^^^

Think about what's going on during a launch. The engine and tranny would be solidly bolted to a frame/body that is twisting and flexing. The bell housing will lose this battle.....

I run solid motor mounts with a poly trans mount, there has to be some give somewhere.

What stall converter did you go with ? RPM ?
Old 10-27-2015, 01:55 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
he's inexperienced and most likely is regergitating what he read in a magazine and never done it himself........if it's not a full on drag car, use poly mounts and if you feel you must use solid......do the motor in solid and leave the tranny poly..........seen it more than once on s/s set ups crack the bell when all is solid
This!!! Me and Craig Radovich are building my car into a high 8, low 9 second car using solid motor mounts with a poly trans mount. Craig was one of the fastest pro 5.0 guys on the planet back in the late 80s early 90s! He knows his stuff!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:13 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
+1 ^^^

Think about what's going on during a launch. The engine and tranny would be solidly bolted to a frame/body that is twisting and flexing. The bell housing will lose this battle.....

I run solid motor mounts with a poly trans mount, there has to be some give somewhere.

What stall converter did you go with ? RPM ?
The converter is a 2600 stall lockup. I road race and run canyons, I don't want a high stall for that.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:02 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Good choice on stall for your application, just don't use the solid tranny mount. These Foxbodys like to twist and flex in turns also.

Good luck in your build.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:22 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Good choice on stall for your application, just don't use the solid tranny mount. These Foxbodys like to twist and flex in turns also.

Good luck in your build.
s

Just bought a poly mount from energy suspension. The guy at this shop said it would break if used solid motor mounts. Better to break a $40 part than a $4000 transmission right.

Quick Reply: What to expect