5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

rocker install procedure

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 08:27 AM
3rd Gear Member

Default rocker install procedure

i asked this in another thread but i think its buried.

anyway:
i read some things about rocker install.
basically tighten down the rocker to 0 lash (pushrod stops moving freely, right?) then torque to spec and if it take more than a full turn to get to spec, then shims are needed.
sound right?

2 questions:
is there any crank turning involved? like, do i need to set cylinder 1 to tdc and work on the rockers for #1 and then turn crank to move #2 and then work on #2 or does it not matter where the crank is for any of them. i can just open the valve covers and get to work?

also, the rockers are 1.6 rollers. i dont know what pieces would determine if i needed longer pushrods, but cam is aftermarket, lifters are stock. typically stock pushrods are fine or should i expect to need new pushrods.
i know there is a procedure to check it, but im just asking in general.

if anybody has a link to a good guide for rocker install, i would appreciate it

thanks in advance!
Old 11-06-2015, 09:13 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

When I did my valve seals, I just went on YouTube and watched a couple videos on setting lifter preload as I've never did it before. Watch a couple different ones as some seemed a little to backyard mechanic to me.

It was much easier than anticipated.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 11-09-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:37 AM
3rd Gear Member

see so i watch two different videos, one guy says to open the intake valve and then as soon as it starts to close you work on the exhaust rocker. another guy says open the intake valve and then start to close it until it is almost all the way closed and then work on the exhaust rocker. i have no idea if this is splitting hairs or is a huge difference.

edit: i watch a third video and they just put the intake to tdc and do both the intake and exhaust. so, awseome. i have no idea what to do.
anybody have a link to a good guide/video?

Last edited by 9550; 11-06-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

so i followed what i believe to be the correct rocker install procedure, and the exhaust pushrod on cylinder 1 never stops spinning freely, even after i torqued the rocker down to 20lbs. this seems like a problem.

anybody have any idea where to start trying to troubleshoot this?

95gt
1.6 ford roller rockers
comp cam CCA-35-351-8
new lifters
stock pushrods as far as i know

i rotated the crank by hand until the intake valve was fully open and then stopped when it just started to close, then i spun the oil pump with my drill for much longer than necessary (30 seconds or so), then i started to slowly tighten the exhaust rocker down while twisting the pushrod hoping to get to a point where it stopped rotating freely. it never stopped rotating freely. i think it got a 'little' less easy to spin, but in general it never got to a point i would consider not moving freely. i torqued the rocker down to 20lbs, and it still was moving fairly easily.
i did this procedure first on the intake valve and it seemed to work fine (hand cranked til exhaust valve was just beginning to open, the spun oil pump, then slowly hand tightened the intake rocker down til stopped spinning freely)

seems the pushrod is too short.

what do i do from here?
did i maybe not wait long enough after turning the crank and spinning the oil pump?

thanks in advance
Old 11-09-2015, 07:26 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Valves must be seated closed before checking lash. Then, and only then should check and adjust to 0 lash. When I did mine, I just adjusted to a slight drag on push rod when spinning, then I tightened the nut 1/2 fun and locked them down.

Now this was my first time using YouTube for the info, so someone with the correct training please step in if I'm wrong. But it's been fine for the last 2500 miles.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:00 AM
project68e

Originally Posted by 9550
so i followed what i believe to be the correct rocker install procedure, and the exhaust pushrod on cylinder 1 never stops spinning freely, even after i torqued the rocker down to 20lbs. this seems like a problem.

anybody have any idea where to start trying to troubleshoot this?

95gt
1.6 ford roller rockers
comp cam CCA-35-351-8
new lifters
stock pushrods as far as i know

i rotated the crank by hand until the intake valve was fully open and then stopped when it just started to close, then i spun the oil pump with my drill for much longer than necessary (30 seconds or so), then i started to slowly tighten the exhaust rocker down while twisting the pushrod hoping to get to a point where it stopped rotating freely. it never stopped rotating freely. i think it got a 'little' less easy to spin, but in general it never got to a point i would consider not moving freely. i torqued the rocker down to 20lbs, and it still was moving fairly easily.
i did this procedure first on the intake valve and it seemed to work fine (hand cranked til exhaust valve was just beginning to open, the spun oil pump, then slowly hand tightened the intake rocker down til stopped spinning freely)

seems the pushrod is too short.

what do i do from here?
did i maybe not wait long enough after turning the crank and spinning the oil pump?

thanks in advance
I recently ran into the same problem, I had to order new pushrods. "that's always fun" because advertised length is not actual length. then I had to shim up the rockers. if you end up getting new pushrods I would go ahead and buy 2 shim kits just to make sure you have enough shims to do the job.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Valves must be seated closed before checking lash. Then, and only then should check and adjust to 0 lash. When I did mine, I just adjusted to a slight drag on push rod when spinning, then I tightened the nut 1/2 fun and locked them down.

Now this was my first time using YouTube for the info, so someone with the correct training please step in if I'm wrong. But it's been fine for the last 2500 miles.
worst case if they werent seated closed, then it would be even easier to get to 0 lash,right? if the valve was opened there it would be easy to get 0 lash and then torquing it would make the pushrod stop spinning, right? so if the valve wasnt closed it would give me good results by mistake./
im getting bad results. there should be any place i could position the crank and not be able to get to 0 lash if the pushrods were the right length, right?
Old 11-09-2015, 07:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9550
worst case if they werent seated closed, then it would be even easier to get to 0 lash,right? if the valve was opened there it would be easy to get 0 lash and then torquing it would make the pushrod stop spinning, right? so if the valve wasnt closed it would give me good results by mistake./
im getting bad results. there should be any place i could position the crank and not be able to get to 0 lash if the pushrods were the right length, right?
should say 'there shouldnt be any place i could position the crank and not be able to get 0 lash'

what im assuming is if the lifter is anywhere on the lobe other than the base, then i wouldnt be having a problem. so i must be on the base.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

probably something i need to understand better:

when i am slowly tightening the rocker bolt and checking the pushrod, is my goal to stop when there is no more up and down play in the rod, or do i keep going until i feel definite resistance if i try to spin the pushrod?

thanks again
Old 11-10-2015, 07:19 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I went with just the SLIGHTEST amount of drag when spinning it, which gave no up or down movement. Then preloaded with 1/2 turn, then locked it down. As long as the valve is closed when you do this, you should be good.

Just out of curiosity, I forgot these are 1.6 rockers. Are you still running the stock cam ?

Quick Reply: rocker install procedure