5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tick tick no start help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
If you keep quoting yourself, nobody's going to answer you lol.....

If your battery is good, meaning passes a load test and fully charged, I'd start looking at the cables and connections. When my car had similar problems, it turned out to be a bad ground connection. The neg. cable to the block connection was loose and corroded. Gave it a good cleaning down to bare metal, and all problems disappeared.
How do I find that particular ground wire just trace it crime the starter?
Old 11-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
If you keep quoting yourself, nobody's going to answer you lol.....

If your battery is good, meaning passes a load test and fully charged, I'd start looking at the cables and connections. When my car had similar problems, it turned out to be a bad ground connection. The neg. cable to the block connection was loose and corroded. Gave it a good cleaning down to bare metal, and all problems disappeared.
So I replaced the starter with a mini high torque starter after I took my old one to autozone sense they said it was no good I brought it home and tested it myself and turns out It was good but anyway with the mini high torque starter it dosent make the ticking sound anymore but it still dosent start? Ugh I haven't found any ground wires to clean yet rechecked battery/connections and all fuses still all seem fine
Old 11-24-2015, 08:57 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

You sure like that "Quote" option lol.

Trace the negative cable off the battery, it should bolt to the engine block. Make sure that connection is clean, metal on metal, and tight. Also look at your cables for cuts or burns that allow moisture in and cause internal corrosion.
I'm not saying this is the fix, but start with the easy, usually overlooked things first before throwing money at it.

Good luck
Old 11-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

Woo I finally figured out hot to not quite haha 😂 I tried something else I read online this morning when I got home and all my accessories came on with the ignition on but when I went to start it it just "click!" No start. Ok cool I was looking all around on the passenger side sense I was thinking its not starting idk what I was thinking lol thank you I'll look at it after I get some sleep I hate sh** work... I mean shift work
Old 11-24-2015, 02:39 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

So I found my ground and that seemed to be the problem but now I'm not getting any fuel pressure my fuse to the fuel pump is good I read somewhere that there is a fuel cut off in case of an accident that may have been tripped any ideas on where it's at?
Old 11-24-2015, 02:55 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

It's in the trunk. L side, behind the tail-lamp.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:15 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

So I think I found it the little modual with the red button? Is it supposed to be up or down? I tried starting it in both positions and it dosent sound like the pump is priming all I can hear is like a quick glug glug when I turn ignition right before start position then it just cranks and cranks and cranks no start before i had these problems with the ground cable I never had any problems with getting fuel any other ideas? I'm really at a loss now as I said I've checked all fuses and none seem to be bad. Could the pump have gone bad just sitting?

Last edited by Jly154; 11-24-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

'The fuel pump will not cause the engine not to crank over, did replacing the starter get the engine to crank properly?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:31 PM
Jly154
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
'The fuel pump will not cause the engine not to crank over, did replacing the starter get the engine to crank properly?
I know it will crank now but no start it cranks better than before
Old 11-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Ok, good. Sorry to hear that didn't fix it, but you're definitely making progress! Gotta have a healthy starter circuit.

At this point, what I would do is squirt some starting fluid in the intake and see if it will start and run for a second or two on that. If so, you definitely have a fuel delivery issue.

Quick Reply: Tick tick no start help!!!!