5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

performance automatic nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 06:47 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Default performance automatic nightmare

In October I ordered a PA super comp transmission with a manual valve body. The transmission arrived Nov 6. With the converter it cost $4504. It is being installed by a very respectable shop in Reseda, CA. Nothing works. The transbrake that it was not supposed to have is random, 1st and 2nd won't hold any power from a nearly stock engine and the converter is just completely wrong. Has anyone dealt with them before? I'm at the ends of my patience so bad that I have the shop building a second transmission for the car so I can return the PA transmission and get my money back.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:56 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Only problem I had with the PA transmission so far is the transbrake selanoid doesn't work for **** and gets stuck a lot.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:32 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

stock engine?? what stall was put in it?
Old 12-20-2015, 08:13 PM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
stock engine?? what stall was put in it?
Stock engine, 2400 stall. Nothing that should break anything. The only modifications to the car are O/R X pipe, phenolic intake manifold spacer, solid motor mounts, urethane trans mount and some minor chassis stiffening. Parked it looks totally stock.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:01 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

I got a supercomp c-4 from them, after a 10 minute drive to get gas, the trans started to slip. I was like wtf and stopped, looked under and the fluid was pouring out between motor and trans, almost as fast as I could put it in. filled it up and drove back home. when I took it apart, the converter bushing was chewed up real bad and walked to the front of the seal, letting the fluid go right out of the seal.
they use a c-6 bushing and didnt lock it down with anything. theres not much room for the c6 bushing to allow the fluid to drop back into the pan. I put a c-4 bushing in it and its been good ever since.
I called them and they told me to bring it to a trans shop and get them to fix it. lol. so much for lifetime warranty.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:06 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I have been dealing with for years but for parts not full units. They dont get a bunch of complaints they have been a very reputable company for years and race what they sell. But that dont mean they dont screw up. have you talked with them about your issues? Thats the first place to start. Maybe they sent you someone else trans. that was in for a freshen up. That could happen and the would explain the trans brake and maybe the slipping of the unit.. C4 are easy to build and not much goes wrong with them but without seeing the inside of it it is hard to say for sure.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:11 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by silver91gt
I got a supercomp c-4 from them, after a 10 minute drive to get gas, the trans started to slip. I was like wtf and stopped, looked under and the fluid was pouring out between motor and trans, almost as fast as I could put it in. filled it up and drove back home. when I took it apart, the converter bushing was chewed up real bad and walked to the front of the seal, letting the fluid go right out of the seal.
they use a c-6 bushing and didnt lock it down with anything. theres not much room for the c6 bushing to allow the fluid to drop back into the pan. I put a c-4 bushing in it and its been good ever since.
I called them and they told me to bring it to a trans shop and get them to fix it. lol. so much for lifetime warranty.
I use c6 bushings in all my C4 builds and dont lock them down so that is not what was wrong sounds like the busing was not installed right to start with or maybe even wrong all together. But for them not to stand behind it is just wrong.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:06 AM
84CopperGT
2nd Gear Member

It's an AOD Super Comp. It's got a lot of issues. The linkage they used straight up doesn't work. If I have park I don't have 1 or 2. If I have 1 and 2 I don't have park or reverse. If I have reverse through 2 there is no park or 1. They keep saying the car needs to be in reverse for the transbrake to work, but that makes no sense at all. On top of that, we fixed the linkage issue but now it doesn't even move in 1 and the transbrake now works, but is sticking on so the car rocks badly. Also, they got **** wrong when they built it. The converter in a non lockup converter, I ordered no transbrake, they keep swearing it's a shifter issue, and the guy installing the transmission has been doing transmissions for 35 years. They sent me a bad transmission and have done the typical bull**** and blamed the shop. I've caught them in 2 lies already and still they blame the shop. One guy told me they test every transmission before it leaves the shop, another guy told me they only test it if the customer requests it. They also told me that a guy that works at the shop doing the install does their warranty work for Los Angeles and used to work for them but he claims he never worked for them and that all he has ever done for their shop is order a few transmissions. I'm going to send it back and get back my money.