5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

A/C knob spinning freely

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:00 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

Default A/C **** spinning freely

Hey guys. My A/C air control **** has always been kinda hard to turn for some reason.
When I turn it to cool it starts sliding back to warm on its own a bit.
Now something happened when I tried to turn it and it just spins freely and I cant go from cool to warm.
The **** itself is fine. Its one of those metal ones.
Can anyone tell me what I need to fix this?
Thanks...
Old 03-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

If the **** is okay then make sure the cable is freely moving. you can drop your glovebox down and youll see the cable coming in at an angle. If the cable doesnt move then pull the hvac panel out and make sure the plastic arm isnt broken. Also depending on how you route the cable will depend on how hard the **** is to turn. Just have to play with it until it frees up.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:06 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

I couldnt pull the controls out completely(I didnt wanna pull too hard and break anything) but I was able to see a plastic piece sliding back and forth when i turned the k n o b from cold to warm.. It was a small rectangular piece and both ends looked like they might have been broke.
What is the part name I would need to fix this?
And how do I remove the control panel to replace it?
Thanks ;o)
Here is 2 pictures of the plastic peice that appear to be broken, left side and right side of it

Name:  kZkHtU6.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  73.3 KB
Name:  e9Bn6j6.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  55.3 KB

Last edited by ponyboy302; 03-15-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:53 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Cant tell from the pictures. Only way I know to replace it is by getting whole panel. Usually find them on ebay or junkyards. They can be stubborn to get out. I usually unbolt the vac manifold and unplug the connectors then take cable off last.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:42 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

Ok the plastic piece that the cable slides into was def broken.
I grabbed the end of cable with pliers and it was very difficult to slide in and out of the cable sleeve. So im thinkin maybe I just need a new Temp control cable.
I may try just gluing the plastic piece back together.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:43 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

Ok guys I seem to be having problems with this.
I replaced the temp control cable and now my k n o b wont turn smooth at all. I turn it to the right to warm and it just springs back. I installed it exactly the way it was. I left 1 inch between the ring and the clip like it said in the manual.
Im not sure what else to do at this point.

Edit. Took everything apart again. My **** turns freely while connected to the cable while it is not connected to the car.

The arm coming off the blend door is also moving freely. The spring attached to it seems ok as the arm springs back up when I push it down. The arm feels a little spongy when i push it down. Its like the spring is too strong. No matter how I set the cable when i turn it all the way hot or cold it just springs back a bit.I can hold it down with my finger but its like the **** isnt strong enough to keep it down.

The car only has like 37k miles and its like new, I dont understand what is going on here, getting very frustrated..

So I tried just taking the spring off the arm thinkin it was bad but it just seems the same. When I move the arm I can hear the door open and close, Im not even sure of the purpose of the spring now. Just baffled.
anyone?

Last edited by ponyboy302; 03-21-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:09 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Try putting a larger smoother curve/loop in the cable.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:56 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Try putting a larger smoother curve/loop in the cable.
The cable is not kinked at all. Its doing all this with the control panel out of the car, so I am testing it while the cable is basically straight. Its just a spongy mess. At one point I had it turning smoothly to warm but if I turn it to cold it springs back.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:53 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Hmm. Sounds odd. I cant remember if mine had a spring on it or not. Does the cable fit snug or loose on the arm? Maybe its too tight on the arm and binding up. I know mine has a little springiness in one direction but its not hard to turn or anything.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:20 PM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Hmm. Sounds odd. I cant remember if mine had a spring on it or not. Does the cable fit snug or loose on the arm? Maybe its too tight on the arm and binding up. I know mine has a little springiness in one direction but its not hard to turn or anything.
The cable is connected to the arm with the adjustment clip.
I am thinking the spring on the arm controls the cold side. Its possible the spring is worn and could be the cause of the springiness on the cold side not keeping the door fully closed or open(im not sure if the door is open or closed on cold)
But then I would think a good spring would cause the same issue on the warm side. The way it is not its very springy either way. On my f150 the **** is very smooth and has positive stops on both sides, there is no springiness at all.

Quick Reply: A/C knob spinning freely