5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Dying while driving /idling and jerking/throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 01:42 PM
UltraBlue91'
1st Gear Member

Default Dying while driving /idling and jerking/throttle response

What's up everyone. Got a problem with the Fox, not surprised, I wanted to hear some of your guy's opinions on my issue.
Okay, so the car starts perfectly fine, however it wants to die on me when I'm at a stop or even driving too. I gave it gas to prevent it from dying on me and it jerked quite a bit and I pulled into a parking lot. I let it coast in neutral and it died. It started right back up in the cold start mode for some reason then the rpm went down to normal idle. I had it towed and it jerked going up the flatbed as well as while parking it after taking it off. There's a chance the fuel pump could be going bad or it's not getting enough power. What you guys think?
Old 05-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Has it set any codes?

And how does its maintenance history look? Is it due for a fuel filter or anything?
Old 05-03-2016, 03:59 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

map sensor perhaps, they will run all sorts of crappy when they go bad. start with the basics.....codes, fuel pressure etc. if that all looks good, it might be time to swap the map, i have seen several that will fail in range and not generate a code.

if equipped, cant remember if and when they switched to MAF*** but the MAF can cause the exact same issues

Last edited by jwog666; 05-03-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:42 PM
UltraBlue91'
1st Gear Member

Thanks for replies, maintenance history is good. Plugs, wires, and coil all replaced at the end of summer 2015. I change the oil regularly. Has a 3 month old fuel filter I put in and my car actually has a bap sensor I put in less than 3 months old. Salt and pepper shakers, IAC, and EGR are all clean as well. Had to have my car towed right after it happened because I was way too far from home to risk the drive so I had no choice but to tow it to the shop. It was towed to a performance shop I am very trustworthy with, so I actually haven't had the chance to pull codes. I'm assuming they will run diagnostics and I mentioned the fuel pump considering the symptoms. It certainly might not be the pump though and it could be something else. I called today and they said that they let it idle for 40 minutes.....I was like really? How could it just stall out on me and jerk while driving and then idle for 40 minutes? I said there's no way it will just do that and then be okay because those symptoms shouldn't happen without a cause, so there has to be something wrong. They're still investigating and I'm waiting for a call from them.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:15 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Let us know what codes are thrown next time you talk to that shop. There might be a couple after something like this.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:46 AM
UltraBlue91'
1st Gear Member

I definitely will.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:22 PM
UltraBlue91'
1st Gear Member

Alright, so it's been a few days that my car has been at the shop and I'm ready to pick it up. Today I called for an update and was told it was driven everyday while the engine was hot and while it was cold. They said that everything seemed fine and apparently it didn't die or else they would have said so. I'm still nervous that when I pick it up that the throttle response will "hiccup", if that makes sense. I'm going to check for codes too. Just wanted to update the thread.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:39 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Keep us posted.....
Old 05-09-2016, 10:01 PM
UltraBlue91'
1st Gear Member

Alright so I ran for codes and got 44 and 94. I've had these before and last time I fixed vacuum leaks and they went away. Oh and I should mention that around mid to high rpms the car jerked. That only happened on one drive and I thought maybe it was misfiring and I should check the plugs....I did a trial run where I slowly got the rpms up past 3k in second and third gear but there was no jerking. Now that I have those codes maybe forget checking the plugs and find and fix the vacuum leaks.

Last edited by UltraBlue91'; 05-09-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:15 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Has your air pump been removed ? If so, those are normal codes that really don't affect anything.

If you have a stumble in the upper rpm only, I'd verify fuel pressure, make sure fuel filter is not plugged up, clean MAF sensor, still good to check for vacuum leaks, etc, etc.

I can't remember your maintenance list, if you even stated one, but if it hasn't been done lately, a complete tune up would be in order also.

EDIT: Never mind, I reread your thread, your good on the maintenance side.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 05-10-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Dying while driving /idling and jerking/throttle response