5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

CEL Help and Codes help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:25 PM
RT91GT

Angry CEL Help and Codes help

Hey guys first post here and sorry if i ramble just let me know. So about the pony she's a 91 with manual tranny (Bruce not Kaitlyn) with AC. as far as i know she's had no implants or plastic surgery other than the damage from when she got dropped as a baby but grew up great life but mom should have told her to take the bra off from time to time. OK all jokes aside. I bought her about a month ago and all looked and ran well. So a little while after i got her i hated that i didn't have key-less entry but had power locks so put an alarm on her and solved that but that's when i found out the heater core was bad. so i grabbed a core and installed it that night heater solved. then the next morning or shall i say 2 hours later went to start to go to work and bamm no start tried to boot her nope didn't work so jumped the solenoid and she started got to work and on lunch tried some paper clips to the clutch safety switch and she starts replaced switch that night. then i notice that the CEL came on.... I tried to get the codes several times to no avail then found another picture to pull codes with grounding the single wire plug and bam got me some codes.

6 of them 22, 35, 51, 53, 54, & 67 i know which each of them are but when i test for 53 its within the spec so that leads me to think i need to replace the ECM. The car does diesel upon shutting off which would go to timing or cooling and something else.

So when i replaced the core the vacuum lines got broken and i yanked a couple out to only replace them the next day all to proper locations maybe not the proper size tubing? (will this play off on any of the above mentioned codes personally i don't think so)

Last weekend i decided to tear the dash apart again and now have a few more issues. i noted in my mind (when doing the heater core) that the alarm light was a little to close or tight to tear anything apart so looked into its wiring all was good but i'm OCD and decided to wrap and tie each individually so if i need the light to extend i can cut a tie and pull the piece of trim out with out cutting the wires to the light. also noticed the key chime was cut so replaced and connected it works. Then found out the ignition switch went bad so replaced that after drilling that out. So then on my way i noticed that now i didn't have turn signals so went and checked the fuse that's good replaced the flasher that's good and now the hazards work spot on compared to what they used to. I did notice that when i would use the signal some times the wipers would go once so am ordering the replacement for that but have now noticed that the heater or ac blower only works on full blast not on any lesser setting. seems each time i disconnect something something is frying out.

So do i order an new wiring harness and ecm or just an ecm or what do yall think? seeing the codes before i fully looked into them i was thinking the connectors from when i did the core but they cant be it as they would read low ive disconnected the battery over night and still not cleared the codes. you can smell and excess of fuel...... all smog gear is still on car as well. I currently have temp tags on the car and need to go get it into the Proctologist to get her official. i dont want to throw parts at her but also know she needs some new parts planing on doing a build on her but have till june to get her done up enough to pass for another year.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:49 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Holy Crap, you lost me at "Hey Guys". lol

Just for giggles, go through and verify your grounds are clean and tight. Primarily your neg. cable to block ground. Make sure the cable itself has no cuts or bulging indicating internal corrosion. I'm just saying this because my car gave me fits a couple years ago with a ton of electrical gremlins. It turned out to be a bad neg. cable connection at the block. It's been trouble free since then.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:05 PM
RT91GT

Thanks for the info and sorry I just wanted to put as much info as possible so if anyone had something similar happen. I will go thru all the grounds and check more wires I did replace the coolant sensor and air temp sensor. Still faults but will go thru and re tighten and spray toniggt will keep posted if it clears or faults thanks again