5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

E-85 Conversion on 302 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:24 PM
GimpyHSHS

Default E-85 Conversion on 302 EFI

Hey all,

I am starting a new thread because I think I am gonna go a new direction with my car. I have a Moates Quarterhorse tuner and wideband AFR sensor/gauge. Aeromotive A1000 pump, adjustable regulator, etc.

302 based motor, Aftermarket block, Brodix Racing heads, compression unknown, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, BBK 75mm throttle body, SCT MAF sensor. Aeromotive fuel cell, pump, filter, lines (8an or 10, not sure). MSD 6AL digital box, MSD pro-billlet distributor, MSD wires (8.5mm). Cam, of course (unsure of specs).

Thinking of swapping to E-85, it can be found in my area, just around from where I live, and since everything you typically need to swap it over is mostly there, I don't see a reason not to.

It has 24# injectors I think, I will upgrade to 44# (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-150844)

Then just run the E-85 and tune with the QH.

Does this sound feasible??

Regards,
CHris
Old 10-28-2016, 06:55 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Is this a track only car, or daily driver/fun street car ?

I ask because in my opinion it's not worth the trouble/ hassle for a couple more HP for a street car.

Now a track car would be different where every HP is needed.

Keep us posted on the progress, sounds interesting.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 10-31-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:06 AM
64bit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Is this a track only car, or daily driver/fun street car ?

I ask because in my opinion it's not worth the trouble/ hassle for a couple more HP for a street car.

Now a track car would be different where every HP is needed.

Keep us point the progress, sounds interesting.
Stop being so negative in every post that involves diverting away from the "oh so perfect" pile of junk called the A9L...

OP. Switching the E85 is a great way to get some extra power with the added bonus of the safety of race fuel, at a very low cost. If you are N/A however, it's kinda pointless. Especially on a fairly mild engine.

However, if you do decide that you want to run E85, I highly suggest that you buy an ethanol content analyzer, like the ECA kit from zeitronix. The digital readout, along with making changes to the Z_AFR pid will allow you to tailor your fuel usage specifically to the exact fuel percentage that you have in the car.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:32 PM
GimpyHSHS

Ok, so it isn't a strictly track car but it has a fairly large cam and higher compression. My dad ran the motor on a race gas mix when it was in his dirt track car. I can't run on 93 or it pings it's butt off and just generally doesn't run right. I had to mix in a $20 bottle of VP Racing octanium octane booster and then it perked right up. I don't want to spend $50 on every tank of gas. I'd rather get that extra couple horsepower, and the cooler combustion temperatures with E85. And it's available around me.

I have the car to participate in the Express Rallies a friend of mine puts on (expressrally.com). We also do some race tracks and I'll be at Hallett every year for the Mid-America Ford and Shelby High Performance meet in Tulsa. I drag race occasionally as well. But mainly the rally and road racing stuff. I've checked around and the E85 is available where the rallies go. A lot of the guys in it run E85 too.

I do plan on getting the content analyzer.

Changing plugs to Auto lite 3924. That us what Willie from Dirty Dirty Racing recommended for us with the E85 setup. I got my Quarter horse from him, and the AFR gauge.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-30-2016, 04:47 PM
GimpyHSHS

I meant to add in a what do you think question at the end haha...

Auto lite plugs, 44lb injectors, and the QH tune

Coupled with:
Existent Aeromotive setup, swapped to 100 micron filters.

Anything else I am missing that is glaringly necessary?
Old 10-31-2016, 08:05 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 64bit
Stop being so negative in every post that involves diverting away from the "oh so perfect" pile of junk called the A9L...
How is my post negative ? I only defend the A9L because, in my opinion, it'll work just fine for 90℅ of the cars in this forum. And whenever I defend it, I'll also ad that to get the most out of a highly modded set up, a tune/ tuner would be required.

My post was trying to determine if this was 16 yr old kid who just bought a race car, or a more experienced individual.

I mean no disrespect, those who have been on here long enough know who you are, and bow to your knowledge on such subjects.

OP....sorry I can't help much as this is out of my knowledge level, but your in good hands with 64.