5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1995 Mustang GT- Upcoming Oil Pan Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Default 1995 Mustang GT- Upcoming Oil Pan Replacement

1995 Mustang GT, 174,000 miles

Over the summer I patched up a few leaks on my stock 302's rusty oil pan with epoxy. The epoxy was rated for engine temperatures, and I was able to prep the surface pretty well for a good hold. But I'm not sure how long it's going to last, and I'd like to just replace the whole pan before too long.

Access is pretty terrible, so it looks like I'm going to have to either lift the engine from up top and/or hold it in place while dropping the whole K-member. I'm really not looking forward to this (which is why I tried patching it in the first place). I'm actually considering letting a shop do it for me. My big problem with that is that I can't just pull the pan and decide what else I'm going to need. I want to have a full scope of work all planned out first.

Last year I changed my water pump, and used the opportunity to tackle the timing cover gasket and front seal while installing a new timing set and harmonic damper. So what else would be a good idea to do during pan replacement? I haven't looked at the engine mounts, but this seems like a great time to do that. This is a daily driver, and I'd like to keep the low oil sensor feature. I'm also looking into getting into autocross; should I do anything with the oil system while it's open? I don't think I'm ready to commit to a tubular K-member, but any other ideas (including pan suggestions) are welcome.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:45 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I can't think of anything else to do under there except and exhaust upgrade if you didn't already.

Good luck, let us know how it goes....
Old 12-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

I have not done an exhaust upgrade. Would it be worth it on an otherwise stock engine?

I gotta admit, as a daily driver, all my modding so far has been focused on things like brakes and handling. I haven't touched the engine at all outside of maintenance and repairs.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:28 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Depends on what your plans are for the car.

Realistically, if your planning on doubling your HP down the road then a decent, full exhaust would really help. But if your happy with the power now, and just plan to slowly increase power to a moderate level, then I'd just leave it and put that money toward a set of gears for the rear first.

But, as you know, once you start modding it's hard to stop......lol
Old 12-16-2016, 10:28 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, tough call. When it comes to my mod intentions, I made sure to leave power upgrades for last on my list. While that's a good way to go about it, I'm afraid I've completely neglected to put together a power plan. Maybe I'll just enjoy it as-is for a while as I figure all that out.

Do headers typically require all this work of raising the engine and/or dropping the K-member, or is it just long-tubes that need that extra room to maneuver into place?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:42 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

If your going with LT's then some say that you just have to lift the motor on one side. Not that big a deal, just one bolt, but some have gotten away with out doing that. Depends on brand I guess.

No need to drop the K member.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Hm, yeah I think I'll hold off on headers for now. Thanks!