5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1993 5.0 stumble help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:38 AM
144kenneth

Originally Posted by mongolchuck
When you say you replaced the distributor stator are you talking about the pickup aka pip sensor? Check your grounds again, especially the ones for the computer, and check the eec relay. Start it cold and run a hair dryer on it to heat it up a little, not plastic melting hot, and see if it fails. Just remember a tight ground doesn't mean good. We're talking about cars that are 25 to 30 years old now and a little corrosion can cause big problems.
thank you for the reply, yes the pip Is what I meant. this is my first time hearing of this EEC relay, I'll check it for sure. the grounds I've checked (removed, steel brush, reinstall w/ dielectric grease) are the ones to the block, the one next to the starter solenoid and the ones over the head lights. Is the one in the cab I should check? Also the pip was an Oreilys part, could that be my issue? Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:14 AM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

I can't remember exactly where the eec grounds but there are some grounds on the firewall and the passenger side fender too. Also remember that disconnecting power or ground from the computer causes it to lose the learned engine management like fuel trims and iac values so it is normal to have some stumble and engine surging for a while as it relearns. Oh and like mjr said check your fuel pressure.

Last edited by mongolchuck; 02-27-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added
Old 04-09-2017, 10:25 AM
144kenneth

Originally Posted by 144kenneth
UPDATE.
Replaced MAF tested new TPS (good) and replaced ignition module.... Still the same issues and it's getting worse
I got it!
So it turns out that it was the ECM quick disconnect (which is located on the ground Connection by the battery about a foot down the line) it looks like an inline fuse. I cleaned it once before but it doesn't seem as though I did a good enough job as I did it again and now the car is running fine, I believe that all the stumbling issues were from the ECM trying to relearn itself after being shut down from the ground every single time. I also cleaned the ground located below the ECM behind the kick panel inside the car. Hasn't shut off at all and has started to run better and better everyday is the ECM continues to relearn its programming.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:23 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Glad to hear, great job tracking it down...