5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trick flow top end idle problems and runs rich

Old 02-25-2017, 10:31 AM
schecterplayer
1st Gear Member

Default Trick flow top end idle problems and runs rich

I have finished installing the trick flow stage one kit and the car is a monster now! I am having problems though with how it starts and idles. The car will fire right up but never seems to go to fast idle like a car does when it's cold. And when the car is warmed up it doesn't really have a solid start if that makes sense. It fires but it feels weak. When the car is cold it will fumble and almost die but usually recovers and idles fine. I have tried to reset the base idle and that seemed to help some. I have checked everything possible for a vacuum leak and can't find any.I have pulled codes and have nothing but the canister purge That was removed.Same with keor, no codes. I have 24lb Injectors paired with the 24lb pro m mass air. I got a tune from bama that made the car run much better The car is also running rich, I can tell by the smell. Sorry for the long winded post but does anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-25-2017, 12:59 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

You got a canned tune from bama, take it someplace that can dyno tune it. Or just put some miles on it and see if the adaptive learning will level it all out.

The exhaust is going to smell rich if you have an after market catless exhaust. Smell is not an indication of lean or rich, if it is truely running overly rich it smoke black out of the exhaust.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:46 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by schecterplayer
\ The car is also running rich, I can tell by the smell.
no you can't......that mean nothing, unless you have a wideband on it, you nose is not a calibrated indicator, expecially if the cats are removed, mine 89 s/c vert smells rich all the time as well but the wideband tells a different story= the truth. best way to check for vac leaks is find someone with a smoke machine
Old 02-26-2017, 04:59 PM
schecterplayer
1st Gear Member

OK thanks. I was driving around today and the car drives fine but when I come to a stop the engine dips down below normal idle and almost dies. Sometimes actually does die and it's then hard to start back up. Any ideas??
Old 02-26-2017, 06:23 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by schecterplayer
OK thanks. I was driving around today and the car drives fine but when I come to a stop the engine dips down below normal idle and almost dies. Sometimes actually does die and it's then hard to start back up. Any ideas??
How long has the MAF been on the car, and are you running a hi flow air filter? The air filters with oil on them can sometimes contaminate the MAF with oil. Try cleaning it with some MAF cleaner spray. Also make sure you not leaking air any where on the cold air intake tube after the MAF.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:22 AM
schecterplayer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
How long has the MAF been on the car, and are you running a hi flow air filter? The air filters with oil on them can sometimes contaminate the MAF with oil. Try cleaning it with some MAF cleaner spray. Also make sure you not leaking air any where on the cold air intake tube after the MAF.
The maf is new. Never had the stock maf have oil on it so I dont think that's the issue but good suggestions
Old 02-27-2017, 11:39 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

How old is the IAC? It may be sticking or too slow to keep up with the idle needed
Old 02-27-2017, 04:23 PM
schecterplayer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lxman1
How old is the IAC? It may be sticking or too slow to keep up with the idle needed
it's a year old. Not a oem part but the stock setup idled good. I did the base idle reset process today and actually let the car get to operating temp before replugging the iac in. Seemed to fix the idle issues. Still cold start has a little issues but idle seems good
Old 02-28-2017, 03:51 PM
schecterplayer
1st Gear Member

And after I did the correct process of resetting the idle the car cold start's like new. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! This should be well known throughout our forums that if you hci swap RESET YOUR IDLE WITH THE ENGINE WARM!
Old 03-13-2017, 04:26 PM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

That certainly helps! lol But I would still take it to a local tuner who can tune YOUR car. Bama will get you moving, but it's not a good tune doing it from another state just taking wild shots and guesses. I had the same thing happen to me when I put in my 331 stroker motor with all bolt ons. Took it to a local tuner and made a night and day difference. Worth it.

Search this Thread