5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

87 5.0 Electrical Help Yellow Starter Solenoid Wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Stephen Shepard

Default 87 5.0 Electrical Help Yellow Starter Solenoid Wire

Hey Guys,

New to forums as I recently bought a 1987 5.0 project.
The car has been running fine , until today.

The car car will start immediately, but will die instantly IF I DO NOT KEEP THE KEY INTO CRANK POSITION. I've read around, and I have learned that most all of these similar issues are fixed with a loose ground wire somewhere. I can't find a loose ground wire BUT , I have discovered (in the mess of in clipped harnesses that appear to be useless ) a single solid and thicker yellow wire that appears to be broken. It looks like it goes to the starter solenoid through the firewall but under the dash , it's attached to nothing. My question is, could this cause this issue and if so, where the HECK if anywhere does this yellow wire attach ?

Any help would be great!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:16 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

If it's a factory wire, you'll need to dig up, find a wiring schematic and trace that wire.

Or is this the handy work of a previous owner running a wire to who knows what ?

And just out of curiosity, have you ever replaced the ignition switch ? They don't have a good reputation.

Welcome to the forum by the way,glad to have you.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:23 AM
Stephen Shepard

It COULD be the work of a previous, giving the wiring that's in access in others. I've only had the car for a short period, so I haven't changed the ignition switch yet.

Im wondering though, if that wire does in fact go from the switch to the starter relay -- would the car even start at all, specifically while it was in crank position and I can hear the starter grinding.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:33 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

The starter relay is just a big "on" or "off" switch. If you turn the key and the starter cranks the motor over and disengages when the key is released, then I'd think all is good there. I'd then look at the ignition switch, mounted on the steering column by your knees. They are a known problem area. If you take it off and it rattles, they're usually the culprit.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:45 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Sounds more like ignition switch issue. Those big yellow wires on the starter solenoid are battery power leads to a lot of stuff in the car. I want to say there is about 3 or 4 of them. Most go to the ignition switch too. Then run to fuse box. Best bet is to pull a wiring diagram and trace your wires.