5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Vortech 5 psi install tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Highmiler

Default Vortech 5 psi install tips?

Folks,
My wife just entered history by giving me a 5 PSI vortech supercharger for an anniversary present. My (mostly stock) car has high miles, but still strong. Any tips that the vortech booklet doesn't mention? Being the 5PSI kit, there are no ignition or fuel upgrades. There is no mention of playing with timing after install, etc. Just bolt it in and no other work needed? Is that oil pan hole deal OK, or is there a better way to do it?
Thanks!
Old 10-28-2005, 01:02 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech 5 psi install tips?

I wouldnt worry about ignition upgrades, but just remember... stock 19lb fuel injectors are only good for around 300hp (I believe) so if you have any other mods w/ 5psi you will be in that ballpark. And also, I would call up vortech and ask them about the timing. Im sure that it cannot hurt to still have it tuned. Understand that it is only 5psi, but its STILL a blower and you would benefit from tuning.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:55 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

stock timing you should be ok..I would install a 155 pump to be safe....you can run a t- off the sending unit near the oil filter for oil.....a MSD 6al would also be a nice addition and maybe so 24's to be safe..but that thing gives you about 50-65hp depending on mods
Old 10-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Highmiler

Folks,
My wife just entered history by giving me a 5 PSI vortech supercharger for an anniversary present. My (mostly stock) car has high miles, but still strong. Any tips that the vortech booklet doesn't mention? Being the 5PSI kit, there are no ignition or fuel upgrades. There is no mention of playing with timing after install, etc. Just bolt it in and no other work needed? Is that oil pan hole deal OK, or is there a better way to do it?
Thanks!
Dayum! Wish my wife was that thoughtful!! Can't complain though I got a craftsman ball bearing rolling toolchest for my B-day last year.

As for the oil thing. I would highly recommend getting an Oil filter adapter that will have an oil fitting coming out from between the pump and the filter. A lot more reliable that way and less likely to give you problems. Also, if you ever decide to sell the car and take the charger off, it'll be easier to return to stock. That you don't have to tdeal with the oil pan.

Something along these lines is what you can use...
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...-adapters.html
Old 10-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Blaze86Vic
1st Gear Member

Get an oil cooler kit, then feed the Vortech with the cool oil. This will be significantly better than just running the hot oil in it.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Highmiler

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't get most of it until I already started to modify the pan (a pain in the tusch). However, I may go with an oil cooler for a way to tap off for a supply line. I don't think that I can plumb both the in and out from the charger through the high pressure line, since the charger has a spray nozzle in it that just mists the gears. The output is probably just a trickle, not something to feed back into the high pressure side of the oiling system. It must just drip into the pan. If it were under even a little pressure, it seems like I could feed the output to some fitting at the valve cover or something, but I think that is just a drool, and must be kept below the charger (wouldn't flow uphill). The high pressure side is from a tee at the oil pressure unit, which I may change later to a tee in at a cooler adapter.
Sounds like the injectors are at the edge, if not undersized, but for now may do ok; I don't rev too high very often (only when absolutely enjoyable). I already upgraded the pump a little when I last replaced it.
I'll check into the MSD unit.
The vortech kit seems to be pretty good so far (except the oil pan thing), but it's not all in yet. I'll give a full review of it when I'm done.
Thanks again.
Steve H
Old 10-31-2005, 10:04 PM
MostlyMopar

The guy working at the Ford Racing PArts Tech line told me the factory 19 lb injectors are good for 275 HP.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Highmiler

Another question or two about the Vortech install...
That plastic air box- Am I missing something, or does it fit real poorly on the inner fender? Do I need to move the harnesses that are in the way for a better fit? The instructions mention moving a ground wire, but that makes no sense to me. I am avoiding drilling unnecessary holes in the inner fender and I want a nice clean install.
Also, what does the FMU do? Hold back fuel from going to the tank to give more flow to the injectors? The instructions were a little vague/misleading, and I assume that I connected it properly; basically put it inline in the drain-back line.
Thanks!