5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

equal or unequal length

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 07:03 PM
jw

Default equal or unequal length

Ok, so I understand that long tube headers give more hp & torque at higher rpm, sacrificing some low down, but whats the difference between equal & unequal length shortys? Are equal somewhere between the two? and is it worth paying the extra bucks?? Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 07:52 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: equal or unequal length

i wouldnt even buy unequal. equal legnth just means all the pipes are the same length. it provides for an even amount of flow from all cylinders. the stock manifold is unequal so what does that tell you
Old 12-07-2005, 07:56 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

I say Equal they look cooler and give you a lil more HP than the equal length... not huge but some! But they are harder to install than equals
Old 12-07-2005, 09:09 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Go with the equal lengths.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:22 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ive heard of people having tons of problems with equal length shorties, including melting sparkplug wires etc... For the difference of install difficulty and price i dont think they're worth it, again, unless you're pushing some serious HP, but then why not go with LT.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 PM
rsw007
4th Gear Member

ive used both and have unequals now. the money isnt the real diff. its the ease of plug inspection and less heat that made me go this route ive seen dyno test years ago yhat showed less than 2hp difference. im willing to give up that hp for the room to work and check plugs regularly.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:01 AM
hotstang97gt
3rd Gear Member

i have LT's and i have no probs with changing plugs, only the back ones and i had trouble with the equals on my project stang
Old 12-08-2005, 03:44 AM
Autobadges.com
Banned

I would advice AGAINST the Equal length headers.

My brother has a 95 GT that we put some equal MAC headers on....NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!!!!! spark plug issues.....rusting....leaks....and they are a PITA to install as well.....I say stay away from them at all costs.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:04 AM
RacerX
2nd Gear Member

unequal length are the way to go! There's not any major increase in hp. by using the equal lenghts. Also UNEQUAL lenght is far more easier to install and remove! My car came with equal lenghts when I got her. 1st then I did was to remove them! Had to raise the motor and all sorts of things,1st time took like two days,it was terrible! Learn from our experience. Also , will charge you more at shops because of equal lenghts take MORE labor time to install/remove. Spark plugs maintence was also a big issue. GOOD LUCK. Just glad if I NEVER see another set of equal lenghts again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:33 AM
jw

Thanks for that guys - you made my mind up for me. Ive just ordered a 347 stroker from T&L, so I'm trying to decide which headers/system to go with it. I think I might go for the BBK unequal shortys with a magnaflow off road Tru-X and cat-back system. I know long pipes would probably be better for a high hp engine but I think they would be real pain for road use?

Quick Reply: equal or unequal length