5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how hard is it to replace the oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:18 AM
ptown87
1st Gear Member

Default how hard is it to replace the oil pump

I have a 1988 gt that needs a new oil pump.I have the oil pump. I know it is a pain in the *** to install. Should I just pay to have a mechanic do it? How much do you think it will run me.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:28 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how hard is it to replace the oil pump

Your probably going to have to pull the engine to replace it. Its not a fun job to do. You maybe able to jack the engine up 5 or 6 inches and drop the pan and install it but thats not going to be easy. You would pretty much be installing it blind that way.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:37 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

First off, always start with a High Volume Oil Pump if you're going to replace it. Don't use the factory crappy oil pump. Second, you are going to have to drop the tranny, remove engine from car, drain all flulids, and pull the pan..

I put a new high volume pump in my new engine, and it only took me about a day, but the engine wasn't in the car yet. It may take a weekend if you consistantly work on it.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:13 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Just know that a shop is going to charge you an arm and a leg to do this and for whoever does it (you or a mechanic) make sure that you get the best pump available because you DO NOT want to have to do it again. Personally, I would do it myself. Gain some experience and save yourself a crap load of money.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:22 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

God, I love my Tubular Front K-Member. Ha ha ha ha. I don't have to do anything to drop the pan now. Sorry to here about your dilema. I would say do it yourself if you know someone that works at a shop that has lift. You may be able to just hoist the engine slightly. If not try dropping the stock k-member. You'll have to do an alignment afterwards though (of course). Good Luck in whatever you do.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:45 PM
4eyedfreak
3rd Gear Member

First off, are you from Palatine? If you are or you are in the area I can do it for you, (for a charge) but i would not charge as much as a shop. I have done it several times for a couple friends. My advise would be to do it your self but you are:

A) Going to have to drop the k-member, which is really not that hard but you will need to get an
aline.
B) Pull the motor up a little and do it, I have never had to pull the trans off just unbolted from the crossmember

Old 01-25-2006, 01:03 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxRod
God, I love my Tubular Front K-Member. Ha ha ha ha. I don't have to do anything to drop the pan now. Sorry to here about your dilema. I would say do it yourself if you know someone that works at a shop that has lift. You may be able to just hoist the engine slightly. If not try dropping the stock k-member. You'll have to do an alignment afterwards though (of course). Good Luck in whatever you do.
You can completly drop the pan without anything interferring now??? That would be great because I just got my D&D k member about a week ago.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:45 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Well don't quote me but I know that I have full access to all my bolts and have quite a bit of clearence from thepan to the k-member crossbar. If I am not able to take it all the way off I defienately drop it and slide it over a little and still have the acces that I need. Lucky me. To take it all the way out I might need to pull the motor up a few inches but I wouldn't need to take it all the way out.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:59 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Yea, I see what you are saying. Thats awsome! Thank God I got my D&D!
Old 01-25-2006, 02:00 PM
4eyedfreak
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

Yea, I see what you are saying. Thats awsome! Thank God I got my D&D!
How much was it and were did you get yours?

Quick Reply: how hard is it to replace the oil pump