5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Totalled my Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 05:02 AM
Milky
4th Gear Member

Default Totalled my Car

My car is now totalled. I don't know what to do really now, I'm looking for advice. I havent looked at the engine compartment I will tomorrow but it looks as thought the engine itself is salvagable so I'm not sure I want my insurence company taking it away... </P>

Anybody have experience in totalling a car with thousands of dollars into the engine and all that jazz? Any advice is appreciated.</P>
Old 02-03-2004, 05:08 AM
T5superduty
3rd Gear Member

Default Totalled my Car

what are you gunna be selling on the engine ?
Old 02-03-2004, 05:11 AM
Milky
4th Gear Member

Default Totalled my Car

Id like to reuse it. Like I said I have to check it out and make sure its ok, but I put heads, cam, intake, and more into that, it would suck to throw it all away for pennies on the dollar from my insurence company (state farm). Know what I mean?</P>
Old 02-03-2004, 06:36 AM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

Default Totalled my Car

Does the insurance company know it's modified? If not they'll pay you book value, then you turn around and buy the car back from them. If they know it's modified they'll pay you more for it, but in turn charge you more for the salvage.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:10 AM
karma279
2nd Gear Member

Default Totalled my Car

Are they coming to get the car soon? The insurance co. will stick it to you. Depending on how much you have in the motor &amp; if you have time, just slam a worn-out junkyard 5.0 in the car... it doesn't even have to run. Just a suggestion.... feasible guys?</P>
Old 02-03-2004, 08:10 AM
n2o44
2nd Gear Member

Default Totalled my Car

you didnt get to f***ed up did you ? sorry to hear dude, explain what happened a lil bit /.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Milky
4th Gear Member

Default Totalled my Car

They don't know its modified yet, but Im gonna have to tell them cause i for sure want/need more than blue book for the car. Do I make a list of all the mods and how much they cost?</P>

I was figuring on buying the car back for a coupe hundred or whatever it is, finding a 2.3 liter and puttin my 5.0 on an engine crane to fix up over summer, then swap the sweet *** 5.0 into my 2.3 body.</P>

How does that sound?</P>

Basically I was on the 5 freeway (Cali) and it was absolutely pouring rain. I hit a pocket, hydrod my back tires and couldbn't correct well enough. Ended up hitting agome girl's front left door and spun to the shoulder. We were ok, just sucks ******* my cars outa commission. Im really realyl scared to see how much the insurence company is gonna give me for my car regardless of the time and money ive put into it.</P>
Old 02-03-2004, 01:18 PM
bmorrisj
3rd Gear Member

Default Totalled my Car

thats devastating, we didnt even get to cruise yet...that rain felt like a bad omen or something... where is all the damage on the car?
Old 02-03-2004, 01:29 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default Totalled my Car

glad your alright.......90% of ins companies are not going above the trade in cost..so most likely you'll get 0 for the mods....most ins company will let you buy the car back for a few hundred..about what a salvage yard gets them for..you can pull off al the stuff if it's totaled used the $$$$ to find another one..perfer a blown up 5.0 and go from there and take the cat to the crusher and make a few $$$$ parts you don't use just sale them..before you know it you have your $$$ back from buying it back
Old 02-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Milky
4th Gear Member

Default Totalled my Car

All the damage is to the engine compartment, but the actual engine looks to be ok... im going outside to take a look in a few minutes. I might end up doing that. I just don't want to let these parts go to waste if i can buy it back for a couple hundred bucks./.. well worth it i think. Its just gonna be tough finding a mustang for the amount of money they give me.

Quick Reply: Totalled my Car