5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how to put a chevy 350 in a stang

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:55 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: how to put a chevy 350 in a stang

2 cents from an older Chevy Guy.....

Please dont do it...

I converted to 5.0s from my Big Block Chevy in the early 90s....Chevys are still cool in my book, but I am a Mustang Man now...

Please keep a Ford witha Ford Motor.....putting a Chevy in is like Marrying your Sister....Just Not Right!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
white94
1st Gear Member

If your only objective is to go fast than why should it matter what drive train is ina particualr brand ofcar? I don't recall the guy who started this thread asking for anybody's opinion on whether or not they liked what he wanted to do.

Go for it man...besides...what do you get for being "loyal" to Ford or any brand for that matter?

Old 06-18-2007, 05:43 PM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

fast and cheapford doesnt hand out free parts for being loyal, nor does chevy. but theres reasons sbc are used in every imaginable car thats swappable and not any dodge motors or hardly any sbf . but yeah everyone missed the boat here.....no one asked for an opinion, the guy asked how, he didnt ask hey what do u think. the childishness of this forum really bothers me lately to the point i used to be on daily but now its more like 2 times a month! and yes i say dumb stuff too, but 30 people dont need to flame on the same post
ORIGINAL: white94

If your only objective is to go fast than why should it matter what drive train is ina particualr brand ofcar? I don't recall the guy who started this thread asking for anybody's opinion on whether or not they liked what he wanted to do.

Go for it man...besides...what do you get for being "loyal" to Ford or any brand for that matter?

Old 06-18-2007, 06:19 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

I can't see anyone putting a 350 into a mustang...it's something that makes me sick.

All of you supporters talking about blocks splitting...they dont split at 400 horsepower or whatever hes going to build it to, the 302 may split at 500, 351w is more but if you build your engine right with the proper precautions taken, its not a worry.

351w not cheap to build up??? come on..its not 1987 any more, there is an aftermarket for it. just because its not in a jeg's magazine doesnt mean it doesnt exist, it just means that jegs sucks for keeping a market for their ford customers.

The reason that the hot rod cars having sbc's in them is because at one time period in history the sbc was the better option for a swap and it became common to do, and now its just a classic represetation for what has been done before.

Chevys being easier to work on...This isnt a fact, this is your opinion. I can't work on a chevy as well as a ford. Maybe because youve been fixing your broken down chevrolets for 10 years and grown accustom to working on them. Some people are more capable working on a ford or mopar. IMO fords are very simple to work on, but that is because im involved with racing fords and its become second nature for me.

Finally, if your 350 fox is going to be faster than all of us, bring it on up and ill see how you fair out against my 40 year old Ford technology.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Scalihoo
2nd Gear Member

I guess the obvious question is why not just a 351 Ford block ?
But on the other hand...if someone just happened to have a SBC & tranny & a 5.0 roller....why not ?
Heck this is America, were free to do things like this ...
Old 06-19-2007, 03:51 AM
CW
1st Gear Member

I have two 83 stangs & currently working on a deal to get a 66 stang that was given up on. One of these will get a sbc. Lets see dime a dozen fox (as stated before) or classic 66? To me doing it in the 66 would not be an option for my car. Take it from there. Some of us dont have a very big budget and if he has some free stuff then what does it hurt to try? There is fab work to be done but with access to the right tools & maybe a forum with people willing to help in a positive way it can be done cheap. Check out www.350monstang.com follow the project gallery and check out the forum. They built one for about $500. Also other people that have done it and are willing to offer advice.
As for the previous s10 comment i have two with sbc in them & my daughter & i are currently building one for her. Her choice, so for all you kids on here not all chicks think mustangs and hondas are hot!
Build what makes you happy!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:10 AM
superman5.0
1st Gear Member

dudeif you do it, your gunna have a fast car hands down. and im thinkin thats all the guy cares about.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:58 AM
raidendz

Default Fords for Fords

Originally Posted by only90s
2 cents from an older Chevy Guy.....

Please dont do it...

I converted to 5.0s from my Big Block Chevy in the early 90s....Chevys are still cool in my book, but I am a Mustang Man now...

Please keep a Ford witha Ford Motor.....putting a Chevy in is like Marrying your Sister....Just Not Right!!!!!!!

I would keep mine Ford if the parts did cost so much, it is cheaper to build a good hp chevy motor then a ford.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:49 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Way to bump a nine year old thread. And no it's no cheaper to build a Chevy motor than a ford motor.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:59 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

lol.....noobs

Quick Reply: how to put a chevy 350 in a stang