5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

85 5.0 carburetion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 11:37 AM
tramphardrocker

Default 85 5.0 carburetion

Hi y'all, New to this forum, first time foxbody owner. This car has all stock OEM stuff including California type carb. Just got the car running after it set for a long time. So far, engine starts and runs OK, but I was wondering if I should put another adjustable carb on it, or should I just leave it the hell alone? Are there any simple after market changes that are helpful, or should I just stay with what I got?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what are you wanting?? more power??
Old 03-01-2015, 12:48 PM
tramphardrocker

I get the heebeejeebees when I see any EPA restrictions on automotive performance. Will an unregulated, similar carb add more giddyup or should I just be satisfied with what I got if it performs OK? I live at 5200 ft. elev. and I have no idea what fuel metering settings are in the carb.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by tramphardrocker
I get the heebeejeebees when I see any EPA restrictions on automotive performance. Will an unregulated, similar carb add more giddyup or should I just be satisfied with what I got if it performs OK? I live at 5200 ft. elev. and I have no idea what fuel metering settings are in the carb.
if the motor is all stock a different carb won't net much seat of the pants feel...... a rear gear swap would be the first thing to do, then a full exhaust change from headers to an off road h-pipe to a good 2.5 catback
Old 03-04-2015, 03:54 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

the compression on these was a little low from the factory but yours is extremely low due to your elevation, milling the heads to increase compression will get you noticeable improvements but if you mill them too much then it will ping/detonate a bit at sea level.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:32 AM
tramphardrocker

Thanks for the input. Still cleaning the car up because of the previous knucklehead owner's neglect. Gotta do clutch and brakes before I can really see how it performs. Then I can see about mods to it based on the input I am getting. I found an 85 at the local junkyard that has a thottlebody on it. A worker there said the engine is fine but the trans is dead. What issues are involved in swapping that out for mine. Will it help performance? In days past I would be out there getting the whole engine, but nowadays I'm too lazy to take that on.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:42 AM
tramphardrocker

An update to last post. Does the junkyard car I referred to have CFI (central fuel injection)? Is it an easy swap?
Old 03-06-2015, 07:18 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

An update to last post. Does the junkyard car I referred to have CFI (central fuel injection)? Is it an easy swap?
if you have 4 barrel...leave it on!! the cfi is a step backwards and not even worth the conversion......it's basically like putting a 2 barrel on....many moons ago when my 85 was CFI, I had stock ported heads, performer intake and cam to match roller rockers, and full exhaust and gears....car ran 15.4 in the 1/4, took off the cfi and performer 302 intake that had a 4 to 2 barrel spacer on it and got the car to run a 13.4 with just a swap to a performer 289 intake and edelbrock 600 carb.............also don't waste time with any mods to stock heads......price to do such vs benifit will quickly surpass the cost of a set of decent used aluminum heads.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 AM
tramphardrocker

After reading up more on these issues, I learned that what u are saying is true. If I do anything, it will be to replace the Holley (California) with an Edelbrock set up for my elevation. Still working my way up the learning curve. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

After reading up more on these issues, I learned that what u are saying is true. If I do anything, it will be to replace the Holley (California) with an Edelbrock set up for my elevation. Still working my way up the learning curve. Thanks for the advice.
are you trying to stay emissions compliant??

Quick Reply: 85 5.0 carburetion