5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

331 is acting ignert

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 02:18 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

Default 331 is acting ignert

All right, boys and girls, put on your thinking caps. Tech noobs need not read any further - this ain't no OT post.

My 331 is acting a little stupid.

Here are the vitals: CAI, stock MAF (for now - don't laugh), 70MM throttle body, SVO intake, 19# injectors (again, don't laugh - it's only temporary), E303 bumpsitck, Victor Jr heads, 11:1 compression, shorties, no cats, Flows and dumps. There, that oughta give you all the basics. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Under a lugging load, like say 1,000 RPMs in 2nd, 1,200 RPMs in 3rd, or 1,500 RPMs etc., the motor will spit and pop a little if I give it some extra throttle. FOOMP PUH PUH FOOMP (technical term). I can definitely feel in the saddle, too. I was mad at it today and stayed in it instead of feathering it, and it quit at about 2,200 R's. The sputters will straighten up if I ease off the throttle a little, and it doesn't do it if I'm up on the cam clipping my toenails in the fan blades, either.

Motor also surges in the AM when it's cold outside for like a minute or two. vvrrOOOOOmmm vvrrOOOOOmmm Almost dies in between surges and actually has a couple of times when I wasn't paying attention. It'll find it's pace after a little bit and idle normally. It won't do it if I sit there and keep the motor at about 1,500 for about a minute or two - evens out real nicely after that at about 900. But when it dies, it sure does render my remote start pretty dang worthless!! [:@]

Any help or thoughts would be GREAT!
Old 02-15-2006, 02:26 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 331 is acting ignert

I'm not an expert in anyway but it looks like your setup is mismatched. You have victor jr heads and a e 303 cam. The victor heads I have always thought were ment for cars that are high reved and have no low end. The e303 cam I though was for low end and top end stops at around 5500rpm. I think you chugging problem at low rpms maybe from no low end torque. But really this is all speculation based on your setup.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:57 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

heads/cam/intake is not matched for one.not to mention the injectors,and mass air.

your set up is like you holding a bear bottle while i'm trying to poor gas with a bucket
Old 02-15-2006, 02:59 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

I'm not an expert in anyway but it looks like your setup is mismatched. You have victor jr heads and a e 303 cam. The victor heads I have always thought were ment for cars that are high reved and have no low end. The e303 cam I though was for low end and top end stops at around 5500rpm. I think you chugging problem at low rpms maybe from no low end torque. But really this is all speculation based on your setup.
You may be right, but then again...
Have plans for an X303, but not at the moment. With an 85MM MAF, 30# injectors and a 150 shot of the sauce, car threw down an 11.48 at 120, so something's clicking, meshing matching. Car REALLY starts rolling at 3,500 RPMs and cuts a big hog in the *** thru 7G's, so I know I'm out of the power band at the levels I'm experiencing my funkiness, so you're right about the juniors making sweet power at the top of the band because of their flow characteristics there, but I'm not sure that would make it sputter down low.

Tell me a little more about where you were going with that. Are you thinking the cam/head combo is causing some sort of blow back through the valves? The lobe separation of that cam really wouldn't suggest that - it's not that tight. Talk to me.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:24 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

TRY PULLING THE CODES. I DON'T THINK IT SHOULD MISS LIKE THAT EVEN IF THE PARTS DON'T MATCH .
Old 02-15-2006, 08:51 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Sounds like it might be leaning out...Because thats WAY too much motor for them injectors....
Old 02-15-2006, 08:56 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

WOW you have a lot of things going against you with that combo. i dont think you will be even close to needing 30# injectors since your car runs off 19#'s you only need 24's in that car also you dont need that big of an MAF either a C&L 76mm MAF kit will work great. The E cam isnt your problem at all bc thats whats in my 331 and it works fine. I do have one question do you have the EGR still plugged up? Also do you have any of the smog stuff plugged up?

I you still have the EGR plugged up thats your morning startup problem the EGR is reading open so the car is getting more timing then it needs so it sputters. Unbolt the EGR sensor from the back of the EGR valve. Push the sensors pluggener in about half way and tape it there and that will make the computer read the EGR valve as closed or you can spend money and buy a EGR eliminator kit for $20 its up to you. I LIKE FREE
Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Sleeper_Stang_89
2nd Gear Member

I have a 331 and it has the samething going on at idle when cold. Having it checked out Thurs. a.m. Will post what i find out.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:15 AM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: groundpounder

You may be right, but then again...
Have plans for an X303, but not at the moment. With an 85MM MAF, 30# injectors and a 150 shot of the sauce, car threw down an 11.48 at 120, so something's clicking, meshing matching. Car REALLY starts rolling at 3,500 RPMs and cuts a big hog in the *** thru 7G's, so I know I'm out of the power band at the levels I'm experiencing my funkiness, so you're right about the juniors making sweet power at the top of the band because of their flow characteristics there, but I'm not sure that would make it sputter down low.

Tell me a little more about where you were going with that. Are you thinking the cam/head combo is causing some sort of blow back through the valves? The lobe separation of that cam really wouldn't suggest that - it's not that tight. Talk to me.
Not sure I understand, did you have this other stuff on the engine and you have changed it?
For 19s to be supplying enough fuel in the higher RPMs, I would guess you have the fuel pressure all jacked up, if so most likely you are very fat on the bottom end, that would explain surge and poor idle.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Sleeper_Stang_89
2nd Gear Member

I have a 331 and it has the samething going on at idle when cold. Having it checked out Thurs. a.m. Will post what i find out.

Quick Reply: 331 is acting ignert