5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Classic or 5.O???

Old 02-19-2006, 06:57 PM
daver
2nd Gear Member

Default Classic or 5.O???

Just need some advice. I have a 68 coup[e and i am thinkin about selling it so i can get somethin to drive everyday. I am 18 so in the near future i will need some reliable transportation. Would you guys sell the 68 and get a fox body er somethin er should i find some POS and drive that in the winter and the 68 in the summer? Or i could get a fox body and do some mild performance work to it and drive it year round.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:28 PM
moparman1975

Default RE: Classic or 5.O???

Fox's are a dime a dozen. You are one of the few people who have the fortune to own a classic car, don't get rid of it, look around and find an affordable GT. I've been on the verge of selling my Challenger several times and I'm glad I never let it go. Once it's gone it's almost impossible to replace it and you will regret it for the rest of your life (if it has any sentimental value) I have a 70 440 Cuda sitting in the back yard that needs a complete resto and it might be another 3 or 4 years before I can even think of starting on it but I tell you this much it's not going anywhere. They are going to have to pry the keys from my cold dead fingers. Muscle cars are hotter than real estate!
Old 02-19-2006, 11:21 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I would keep the 68. I would trade both of my cars for a 68 if I had the chance. I think a 68 mustang has much better looks then a fox body and you really can't beat that real american muscle. Also you can pick up a beater fox body realy cheap, I got mine for $1500.

I have a 70 440 Cuda sitting in the back yard that needs a complete resto and it might be another 3 or 4 years before I can even think of starting on it but I tell you this much it's not going anywhere. They are going to have to pry the keys from my cold dead fingers.
I'll take you up on that offer.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:25 PM
BaldGeorge
1st Gear Member

I own a few cars now. Back when I was 18, starting out, near broke all the time I needed transportation. If you keep the 68 please don't let it rot. Nothing aggravates me more than seeing an old Stang rot. To me owning an old car is stewardship, it's a responsibility to preserve our history. I'm not a factory perfect resto freak, but I don't put Chevy engines in Fords either. I'd say to sell the 68 to someone who can do something with it and get some late model reliable transportation. When you find success you can buy some nice old iron. When I was first starting out I had a 1970 Mustang that I drove through high school. It needed a new engine at least. Bad as it hurt I needed to sell it and get myself some reliable transportation so I could go work and make money. I traded it in at the Ford dealership and bought a brand new 1983 F-100 with a 300 I-6 and AOD trans. Took care of that truck and she's sitting outside the house today. Still starts, still runs, doesn't burn oil. Nothing like Ford engineering. Over the years I built up a nice little collection of Fords. Yeah, I still miss that 70 Stang, but I know I made the right decision. Heres what I own today:

Running:

2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty. Crew cab, Lariat, short bed, diesel, auto, 4x4. The comfortable daily driver, tow truck for my projects, go to swap meets to buy more junk truck.

1997 Ford F-350 XLT. Crew cab, long bed, 4x4 Off-Road, diesel, auto. Bought this truck new in 1997. I intend to keep it until the wheels fall off. Put a Banks kit on it, make so much power I'm replacing trannys every 50,000 miles. This is the truck I've chromed and diamond plated out. Looks like a big, bad Texas truck. Pure toy and fun to drive. Take it off roading once in a while. Factory paint is still perfect.

1976 Ford F-250. 360 FE, 4 speed, 4x4. Decked to the nines in black paint and chrome. A real head turning, gas guzzling, beast of a truck.

1996 Ford Bronco. Eddie Bauer, every option imaginable. When I learned Ford was killing the Bronc in 96 I special ordered this one. It has every option you can get. Powered by a 351W. Completely stock. Wifes daily driver, looks like it rolled off the assembly line yesterday. Cherry can't even begin to describe this Bronco.

1983 F-100. Old blue, the truck that refuses to let me down. Someday I'll fix you up real nice old friend.

1964 1/2 Mustang convertible. This is my summers day cruising car. It has a 289 under the hood (mild 300 horse) and a T-5 to permit interstate speeds. When I bought it it was a complete basket case. Took me 6 years to get her to where I have her now. Just an all around nice car. I didn't hire anybody to do any work on the car. It was done by me and my friends in my shop.

1967 Ford Mustang fastback. This is an animal I bought off someone else. The car was 95% done. The pain was horrible so I re shot it. Has a Ford Racing 514, C6. and a 9 inch. Whoever did the work did a real nice job. Fit and finish are superb. The interior is redone to original specs. If I had the ambition I'd put in a 10 point cage to stiffen the chassis. The car was done in a Pro Street style with big tires in back and skinny ones in the front. However it has "highway" gears in it. Not as fast as it looks but still damn quick.

2001 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor. Saw it sitting at the Ford dealership. It was for sale to the public, price was right, I bought it. Repainted it black with no white. Pretty quick and a fun car to drive. I take it on long trips with the wife.

Not running/projects:

1999 Ford Lightning. This was one of those once in a lifetime deals. Lightning comes into the body shop, it had been rolled. Insurance company totaled it out. Now most insurance companies let you buy the car back for $500. I gave the owner $2K and told him to buy the truck back and sell it to me. He agreed. I got the truck with a salvage title. Once I get it rebuilt I'll get a rebuilt vehicle title for it. It needs a new cab and front clip. I already fixed the bed and put the frame on the rack to make sure it wasn't tweaked. Next week I'm getting a cab off a wrecked 00 F-150 XL. New front clip from the dealer has been ordered along with all the unique Lightning emblems. Once I put all the sheetmetal together, make sure it fits, then I'm taking the truck back apart and repainting it the original red. Take the Lighning interior out of the old cab and put it in the new along with the Lightning VIN plate. I'll have about $6K total in it plus my time. Not bad for a Ford Lightning with 35,000 miles on the clock.

1967 Mercury Cougar. Once the Lightning is done this ones next. Got it a year ago as payment for a paint job I did on the side. I painted a guys truck, he didn't have the money, so I refused to give his truck back until he payed me. Got the Merc with a title. Has an FE in it (I think it's a 428) 4 speed, a/c, everything. This car is complete. Every ****, decal, switch, emblem is there. Everything is original. Hasn't moved under it's own power in about 20 years and it shows. I think most of the parts on the car can just be refurbished rather than replaced. Clock shows 92,000 miles.

1964 Ford Galaxie convertible. Title says 64 but I'm not sure. Don't know too much about these. Pulled it out of the jaws of the car crusher a few years back. It's 85% complete but will definetely need a thorough body off restoration. It's actually in my shop and I work on it a little bit when I get bored with whatever I'm working on at the time. It's huge!

1969 Ford Thunderbird. Wifes car, she bought it because she liked the color. Looks like about a 10 year old restoration. She ran it low on coolant last summer, engine overheated, block cracked. Working on getting the replacement built in time for summer.

See, things turned out ok for me in the end. I got rid of my beloved 70 Mustang for a boring truck. But it got me to work everyday. Working let me make money and today I have a bunch of cool Fords, a loving wife, 3 great kids, a nice house, and a well equipped shop. I work 50 hours a week painting other peoples cars. I make good money at it. If I had that old Mustang I would have been late for work a lot, been working on it when I could have been studying to improve my skills. Lifes is all about choices man. A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:51 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Keep the '68. Value can only go up. Even if it's a 6 cylinder/3 speed/coupe.....
Get some POS for daily driver as cheap as possible.......
Old 02-19-2006, 11:59 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

That is a tough one. A couple of years ago I was seriously cosidering buying a 67 gta. It was beautiful. Here is a couple of pics.

But I just couldn't bring myself to sell my Notch.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:42 AM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

my dads best freind has a few mustangs.... a 68 gt500kr convertble, a 66 gt350h hurtz supercharged rental car, another 68 gt500, and a gt350r..... he also has a 70 mach 1 super cobra jet, a boss 429, two boss 302's, a hemi cuda clone with a 472 hemi, a 67 fastback 289.... and these are all REAL numbers matching cars except for the hemi cuda clone.... my dad had a 68 coronet 440 4 speed about 4 motnhs ago, a 69 superbee 383 about 3 months ago and i had a 70 dart swinger 340 about 6 months ago and now we have a 67 prostreet nova with a 406 smallblock.... im my opinion i would sell the 68 unless it has sentimental value or its rare somehow because you need sumthin more reliable and you can always get one later..... or you could buy a pos very cheap and keep the 68....
Old 02-20-2006, 12:50 AM
86ragtopman

Definitely keep the '68. I had a chance to buy a cherry conditioned 68 vert from my dad when I was younger and passed on it because it wasn't cool back then. What a mistake. I agree the foxes are cheap today, but give em a few more years and they'll be fewer foxes around. The crowd that was 20 something when the foxes were new will look back and want to grab them just like the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. It may take another 10 years, but it's coming!
Old 02-20-2006, 05:59 AM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

I had me a '67 Mustang Six cylinder as my first car (bought it from a woman moving to australia for $3k) and man, was that car fun to drive. It had the crappiest 3 speed transmission ever (manual) where the shift linkage was so worn out, it would regularly get stuck in first gear if i didn't shift properly (up, right, up... to get to second instead of ... upward diagonalish) then I would have to climb under the car and pull on the linkage to get it back out of first.

That car was a bitch, but i loved it. I ended up selling it for my '94 GT convertible.. because i wanted power (both v8 and brakes/steering/windows/locks/auto tranny/etc) That's probably the biggest regret of my life so far (i'm 18 right now) Man, everyone loved seeing the classic 'stang, and it sounded bad as hell.. for a six'er.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23247/C0A1E24E49C7477FAA2BA23D07F807B3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-20-2006, 10:46 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

get the 5.0 for a daily driver and get a 65-73 car for restoration!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Classic or 5.O???