Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 5.0L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Holley systemax 2

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Devil Dog
1st Gear Member
 
Devil Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 93 mustang GT conv
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 97
Default Holley systemax 2

Does any one have Holley systemax 2 in their car?
Is it better than Trick flow engine kit?
It took me almost 5 years but I can afford to buy one now.
I have 24 lbs injectors, 190ltr fuel pump, 75mm maf and 70mm throttle body on its way.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________

93 GT convertible. AOD=DOA!!
Mac headers, prochamber, mac catback, CAI, Eibach springs, full length subframe connectors...
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
r.barn
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location:
Posts: 5,263
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

The intake is better, but the heads are not.
Twisted Wedge heads with Holley Intake would be good.
__________________

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
"

Ben Franklin
Plaque in Statue of Liberty
r.barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,134
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Devil Dog

Does any one have Holley systemax 2 in their car?
Is it better than Trick flow engine kit?
It took me almost 5 years but I can afford to buy one now.
I have 24 lbs injectors, 190ltr fuel pump, 75mm maf and 70mm throttle body on its way.
I know iceman had the Holly kit on his fox. Put him into the middle 12's I believe. Good kit, looks awesome too!
__________________

94' GT - 331, TW Stg. 2 heads, C.I. cam, 1.6rr, Tubular GT40, 24#, 75mm PMAS, 70mm TB, BBK Shorties, O/R X-pipe, Flowmasters, MSD TFI, Pro-kit, Spec Stg. II, B&M Ripper
91hatchgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
mjr46
Pro-comp heads rule!
 
mjr46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 85 mustang
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 30,249
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

both kits are decent kits for the starter mustanger...who want's to have all the guess work taken out of ordering piece by piece.....however if you want to maximize your power output for less money then you can put together your own combo for cheaper that'll produce more power......but if maximizing your potential is not a huge goal and all you want is a quick solution to some more power with no guess work then both of those kits will meet your expectations
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegirl View Post
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
AdderMk2
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 94 Cobra
Location: Lil' Rhody
Posts: 22,376
Send a message via AIM to AdderMk2
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

Holley > Trickflow
AdderMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
andywear87
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location:
Posts: 325
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

do r.barns suggestion it is the way to go and theres not much guess work and go to cam inovations and get a cam and springs from him and your setup will be sweet.
__________________
andywear87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location:
Posts: 798
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mjr46

both kits are decent kits for the starter mustanger...who want's to have all the guess work taken out of ordering piece by piece.....however if you want to maximize your power output for less money then you can put together your own combo for cheaper that'll produce more power......but if maximizing your potential is not a huge goal and all you want is a quick solution to some more power with no guess work then both of those kits will meet your expectations
You may or may not be able to make power for less. It depends on what you are willing to give up.

All in all, the trickflow kit is one of the best bang for the bucks.

The Holley isn't any better than the Trickflow intake. It all depends on what your goals are for the car, to which one is 'better' than the other.
5spd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
AdderMk2
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 94 Cobra
Location: Lil' Rhody
Posts: 22,376
Send a message via AIM to AdderMk2
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

All in all, the trickflow kit is one of the best bang for the bucks.
this isnt true AT ALL..

I made 276rwhp on a GT-40 top end (stock Cobra equipment). Many TFS top end kit owners dont even break 285rwhp.

so.. $700 GT-40 top end kit... ot $2200 TFS top end kit.

the extra 10hp isnt worth $1500
AdderMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location:
Posts: 798
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

All in all, the trickflow kit is one of the best bang for the bucks.
this isnt true AT ALL..

I made 276rwhp on a GT-40 top end (stock Cobra equipment). Many TFS top end kit owners dont even break 285rwhp.

so.. $700 GT-40 top end kit... ot $2200 TFS top end kit.

the extra 10hp isnt worth $1500
Do you have all accessories?

I don't think you are comparing apples to apples. Did you get new bolts? New rockers? New pushrods? New Heads? New Cam? New Intake? New gaskets?

I have seen SEVERAL combo's make over 300rwhp. Go do a search all over the net with users that have the kit.

Good Luck.

Give me a link to the top-end kit you are talking about? Are your heads aluminum?
5spd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
AdderMk2
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 94 Cobra
Location: Lil' Rhody
Posts: 22,376
Send a message via AIM to AdderMk2
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

Quote:
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

All in all, the trickflow kit is one of the best bang for the bucks.
this isnt true AT ALL..

I made 276rwhp on a GT-40 top end (stock Cobra equipment). Many TFS top end kit owners dont even break 285rwhp.

so.. $700 GT-40 top end kit... ot $2200 TFS top end kit.

the extra 10hp isnt worth $1500
Do you have all accessories?

I don't think you are comparing apples to apples. Did you get new bolts? New rockers? New pushrods? New Heads? New Cam? New Intake? New gaskets?

I have seen SEVERAL combo's make over 300rwhp. Go do a search all over the net with users that have the kit.

Good Luck.

Give me a link to the top-end kit you are talking about? Are your heads aluminum?
lets see. $100 intake, $100 heads, $150 cam. Head bolts are $100, gasket kit is about $130

dont think I missed very much there...

next time you think you can prove me wrong... dont try.
AdderMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #11
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 911
Send a message via AIM to OneFastEclipse
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

Quote:
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

All in all, the trickflow kit is one of the best bang for the bucks.
this isnt true AT ALL..

I made 276rwhp on a GT-40 top end (stock Cobra equipment). Many TFS top end kit owners dont even break 285rwhp.

so.. $700 GT-40 top end kit... ot $2200 TFS top end kit.

the extra 10hp isnt worth $1500
Do you have all accessories?

I don't think you are comparing apples to apples. Did you get new bolts? New rockers? New pushrods? New Heads? New Cam? New Intake? New gaskets?

I have seen SEVERAL combo's make over 300rwhp. Go do a search all over the net with users that have the kit.

Good Luck.

Give me a link to the top-end kit you are talking about? Are your heads aluminum?
lets see. $100 intake, $100 heads, $150 cam. Head bolts are $100, gasket kit is about $130

dont think I missed very much there...

next time you think you can prove me wrong... dont try.
Please point me in the direction to where you buy your parts. Those prices are no where near practical. Unless your buying something that needs completely rebuilt, even then, good luck.

I see where 5spd GT is coming from. The kit may cost more and not net you a big gain over the stock GT40 stuff but you are buying piece of mind too. It is a complete brand new top end for your engine. Not to mention better quality.
__________________
1994 Mustang GT - 455rwhp 446rwtq
1999 GSX - 11.09 @ 135mph Sold!

Yes, I owned a Eclipse. Get over it.
OneFastEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #12
FivePointOhh
in limbo
 
FivePointOhh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1989 Ford Mustang
Location: Iowa
Posts: 7,300
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: OneFastEclipse

Quote:
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

Quote:
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

All in all, the trickflow kit is one of the best bang for the bucks.
this isnt true AT ALL..

I made 276rwhp on a GT-40 top end (stock Cobra equipment). Many TFS top end kit owners dont even break 285rwhp.

so.. $700 GT-40 top end kit... ot $2200 TFS top end kit.

the extra 10hp isnt worth $1500
Do you have all accessories?

I don't think you are comparing apples to apples. Did you get new bolts? New rockers? New pushrods? New Heads? New Cam? New Intake? New gaskets?

I have seen SEVERAL combo's make over 300rwhp. Go do a search all over the net with users that have the kit.

Good Luck.

Give me a link to the top-end kit you are talking about? Are your heads aluminum?
lets see. $100 intake, $100 heads, $150 cam. Head bolts are $100, gasket kit is about $130

dont think I missed very much there...

next time you think you can prove me wrong... dont try.
Please point me in the direction to where you buy your parts. Those prices are no where near practical. Unless your buying something that needs completely rebuilt, even then, good luck.

I see where 5spd GT is coming from. The kit may cost more and not net you a big gain over the stock GT40 stuff but you are buying piece of mind too. It is a complete brand new top end for your engine. Not to mention better quality.
im with adder on this one. better quality? quality is only as good as it performs. GT40 for only an avg. of 10-20hp less than the very expensive trickslow kit...id save my money and go gt40. trickslowyour thinking ooooh its brand new and shiney aluminum heads and all new parts. GT40 set up is cheap and it works. i called junk yards, they didnt have em in but they told me they sell theirs for 75 per head and intake for 90. it avergaes out almost the same. depends where live iguess. ask anyone on this forum what they make with that trickflow kit its not over 300 thats for sure.....id shyte if i seen a dyno paper than says over 300hp to the wheels on just the top end kit for trick flow

and if you've seen several mustang make over 300 to the wheels what was their power adder because thats the only way they're getting there.
FivePointOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #13
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,134
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

Yeah the trick flow kit is tested on a fresh 306ci engine with 10:1 CR, Big TB and MAF, etc...

It's not going to put down the same numbers on the avg. joe's 100k mile factory 302.
__________________

94' GT - 331, TW Stg. 2 heads, C.I. cam, 1.6rr, Tubular GT40, 24#, 75mm PMAS, 70mm TB, BBK Shorties, O/R X-pipe, Flowmasters, MSD TFI, Pro-kit, Spec Stg. II, B&M Ripper
91hatchgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #14
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location:
Posts: 798
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

Quote:
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

lets see. $100 intake, $100 heads, $150 cam. Head bolts are $100, gasket kit is about $130

dont think I missed very much there...

next time you think you can prove me wrong... dont try.
You are buying used parts. You could buy much of the Trickflow stuff used, and you could get that cam for that price NEW.

I got ARP head bolts for $40. You were getting ripped!

The trickflow comes with WHAT YOU NEED. You get a timing chain, new hardened pushrods, new roller rockers, head/intake and all the other misc. gaskets. New valvetrain.

Here is everything you get:

Trickflow H/C/I Combinations:

Street Heat Kits for $2,450:

TFS-K514-350-370 - Street Heat Intake/Street Heat Heads (smog provisions).
TFS-K514-350-370B – Street Heat Intake/Street Heat Heads, Black Upper Intake and Black Valve Covers (smog provisions).

That kit includes:

TFS-51402000 - Stage 1 Cam
TFS-51400510 - 1.6 Ratio, 3/8" Stud, Set of 16
TFS-21406700 - Pushrod Set of 16 -6.700”
TFS-51400904 - Head Gasket Set
TFS-51400801 - Cast Valve Covers or TFS-51411801 for Black.
TFS-51400004 - Twisted Wedge/Street Heads, Assembled (Kit has Single Valve Spring)
TFS-51500001 - 5.0L Street Heat EFI Intake Manifold
ARP-154-3601 - ARP Head Bolt Kit
TFS-51400800 - Oil Fill Kit
TFS-51478520 - Billet Timing Chain Set
FEL-TCS45449 - Fel-Pro Timing Cover Gasket Kit

Track Heat Kits for $2,500:

TFS-K514-360-350 – Track Heat Intake/Track Heat Heads (no smog provisions).
TFS-K514-360350B – Track Heat Intake/Track Heat Heads, Black Upper Intake and Black Valve Covers (no smog provisions).

TFS-51402000 - Stage 1 Cam
TFS-51400510 - 1.6 Ratio, 3/8" Stud, Set of 16, ask for 7/16” stud if wanted.
TFS-21406700 - Pushrod Set of 16 -6.700”
TFS-51400904 - Head Gasket Set
TFS-51400801 - Cast Valve Covers or TFS-51411801 for Black.
TFS-51400004 - Twisted Wedge/Street Heads, ask for track heat head upgrade confirmation.
TFS-51500001 - 5.0L Track Heat EFI Intake Manifold
ARP-154-3601 - ARP Head Bolt Kit
TFS-51400800 - Oil Fill Kit
TFS-51478520 - Billet Timing Chain Set
FEL-TCS45449 - Fel-Pro Timing Cover Gasket Kit

Extra Notes:
The street heat intake has 15 inch runners and the track heat intake has 12 inch runners.

The street heat heads come with smog provisions and the track heat does not. The track heat heads can be ported a bit more because of this.

Both the street heat and track heat heads come with 3/8” rocker studs and the track heat heads can be upgraded to thicker 7/16” rocker studs. Just call your sales representative to get the upgrade.

Both street heat and track heat versions have the option to come with dual valve springs and 10* locks.

Twisted Wedge and Street Heat Heads are the same, not to be confused with Track Heat.

The trickflow h/c/i packages are more designed for the fox-body cars do to valve cover tallness and throttle body adapter plate not being included.

You are not comparing apples to apples. If you are going to compare, atleast stay in the produce aisle

You have not proven anything, except that you can get heavy iron heads at a junk yard.

If any is refuting the fact that 300rwhp cannot be made with a trickflow h/c/i kit, with supporting bolt-ons, they need to get out of the game

Just google it, and see all the 300rwhp combos out there.

Matter of fact, this should help you.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...t+5.0+possible



Good Luck.
5spd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #15
stang8689
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Milford, Delaware
Posts: 5,464
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

I would go Holley over T.F
__________________
89 2.3 Turbo, 82 T-Top Notch 5.0 and 86 GT Black in and out with 347 11Rs, T-5Z, Smoothed Engine Bay
stang8689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:09 AM   #16
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location:
Posts: 2,005
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

Last time i checked out that holley kit it came with a flat tappet cam, although info on summit has been wrong before.
__________________
No Replacement for Positive Displacement.
Mustangkiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:32 AM   #17
jhall01
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location:
Posts: 360
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

If i was gonna buy either one i would go with Holley just because i trust the Holley name more than i do TF. I dont feel like im alone on that one either. Im with Adder too why spend that much more money on something that only gives u a few more HP. Unless u just happened to have that much extra money laying around. I know i dont.
__________________
3.55, short throw shifter, CAI, Paxton SN 8lbs, 30lb Ford Racing Injectors, C&L MAF, 255/50 M/T ET street slicks.
jhall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #18
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location:
Posts: 798
Default RE: Holley systemax 2

The old holley set had some valvetrain issues if I recall. I believe there are 3 configurations of heads possible from Holley, some coming with a 1.9 or 2.02" head. The valve angle of 17* allows the use with stock pistons.

However, the Trickflow heads are much the same, in valve angle and portability. They are not as 'old school'.

The Holley Systemax is a GREAT intake, but the kit with it's camshaft (hydraulic roller for EFI kit), leavessome to be desired. The Trickflow has a slight edge in cam design for that kit, and the overall packages matches better.
5spd GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:17 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
50, engine, ford, forum, forums, gasket, good, heads, holley, ii, kit, mustang, set, systemax, tfs51400904

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holley Systemax 2 86inworks 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang 9 06-04-2005 01:43 AM

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup