5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Check this custom heater core out!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:32 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default Check this custom heater core out!!!!

So yesturday I decided to drive my 92 to work...the first time I'd driven it in two weeks after my wife took it racing.......just wanted to make sure it was still a okay.....so while driving up a hill out of our community the windshield steams up a little so I turn on the defroster thinking it's a result of the heavy fog outside and wham I get a rush of a smell of coolant.....First thing I think is better not be the heater core again!!!! replaced 2 in the last 3 years!!! sure enough by the time I get to work it's rushing out the evap drain vent on to the exhaust!!! %$$#@@#@@ Anyway you can see by the pic it blew up and the electrolisis ate it open eventually....see the white fuzz!!! what a pain in the ace...so I knock off work early at 1:00 yesturday and throw it on the lift and say I ain't stayin till midnight....to make a long story short I was there till 11.00 p.m...funny thing is I had it out in 1 hr and 15 min..... and that included removing the console and whole dash....I'm prettyquick at it cause I 've done it 2times before but while thereI replaced the clutch quadrant with a 5.0 pedal set up as the one there was a 4 cyl unit = pedals too close together and I unstalled an adjustable cable and firewall adjuster!! man what a difference in pedal feel and engagement !!! do it ftw!!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:03 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Check this custom heater core out!!!!

yea i think i can see why it might have been leaking a little bit, lol

speaking of heatercores... i need to do mine... if i made it through last winter w. out heat, i can do it again, lol.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:09 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

yea i think i can see why it might have been leaking a little bit, lol

speaking of heatercores... i need to do mine... if i made it through last winter w. out heat, i can do it again, lol.
Is'nt mjr close to you Dime, you may want to get it done and see if he could give you some pointers to make it easier. The hell with no heat bro, and I live in Ga.

EDIT: I am not nominating you MJR, just wanted to let you know.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:40 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no prob...Tmajikman!!! hey DIMEBAG they ain't no fun but I could give you some pointers and if and when you want it done your welcome to make the trek to frederick ,md and on one SATURDAY i CAN POINT YOU IN THE fastest way to do it not many tools are needed a star driver phillips screw driver and a set of 1/4 inch drive sockets a few extensions a universial and a 1/2 and 9/16 3/8 socket to lower steering column......bet wee could have her out in little over an hour and back in in two!!!! you buy lunch I'll provide the advice and a little help and a chair to watch..lol lol naw jus kidding.. I'll probably have a project to do of my own!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 12:35 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Looks like its time to get a flow restrictor..

This guy made his own...

Or you can pick one up from performancepartsinc.com for $14.

See.. even after all that I still try and help...
Old 10-06-2007, 12:41 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Try running distilled water in your cooling system to cut down on the heater core corrosion
Old 10-06-2007, 01:06 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

lol i can deal with it just fine... last two winters i went w. no heat... i can do it again, lol... its really not that big of a deal... just after about 45 min i cant feel my hands, lmmfao

yea i know how to do it... i just am not motivated enough to do that... besides i thnk right now i have bigger problems on my hands, lol... im gonnna go pull the motor later today...

and +1 on the distilled water...
Old 10-06-2007, 01:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no not really ....doesn't need a flow restrictor just a new radiator cap is what it needed as it wasn't allowing pressure to pop off at proper range at 16 lbsinfact who knows when it deformed it's self cause the fuzz is what made it leak/electrolisis ate it open and I'm sure the deformation didn't help as the heater box side is now permanantely buldged on one side so the heater core expansion happened first and just now it started to leak..oh well that's life it's done at working again just to sit in the garage...heck I just checked the odometer and it's only got 1500 miles in the past year ..guess that 's what happens when they sit!!! they rot away!!!!...as for the distilled water rbarn.......yeah your right I'm gonna do a flush here soon and drain all old crap out and stop using tap water......it's just been easier as the hose is right there!!!!! but I'm gonna do that as I don't want to do another heater core again as all my dash peices are starting to become very brittle and crack here and there...... thanks
Old 10-06-2007, 01:24 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

thats one thing I dont really want to do again... but its not that hard, just not fun! and im sure dimebag would have no problems fixing his heater corelol
Old 10-06-2007, 01:50 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

no not really ....doesn't need a flow restrictor just a new radiator cap is what it needed as it wasn't allowing pressure to pop off at proper range at 16 lbs
Got to remember that the SSP mustangs had this installed from the factory to prevent this from happening, because it wasn't the pressure buildup, but rather the high flow that was produced when they were drivenhard. Just trying to help, so you won't have to do this one more time.

Quick Reply: Check this custom heater core out!!!!