5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Emissions in PA

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:07 PM
5.0L RiCE EATER

Default Emissions in PA

My car currently has cats on it, any one here from PA and would know if the car would pass emissions if I took them off and just welded straight pipes?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:15 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Emissions in PA

No, it will not pass.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:53 PM
1FUN5.0
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

No, it will not pass.
Listen to this man.....he know's what he's talking about!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:55 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Old 10-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Importssuk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0L RiCE EATER

My car currently has cats on it, any one here from PA and would know if the car would pass emissions if I took them off and just welded straight pipes?
go to an auto auction in your area and buy yourself a beater car for $500. if you put 5000 miles or less on the car between inspections, you're emissions exempt in pa and you can run straight pipes if you want. or, if you wanna be really sneaky about it, you can remove the speedo gear from the trans and your odometer will stop counting and keep yourself under 5000 miles . you'll have to get used to driving w/o a speedometer though. not that i've ever done this myself [&:]
Old 10-09-2007, 08:26 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

The Clean Air Act prohibits both individuals and auto repair businesses from removing or incapacitating an emission control device such as: catalytic converters, air pumps exhaust gas recirculation valves. Cars made in or imported into the U.S. have a certified emission control system configuration approved by the EPA. Changes in configuration may increase tailpipe emissions significantly.

There is a section in the Clean Air Act of 1979 concerning “tampering,†which makes it illegal to modify or remove any component designed to reduce or control exhaust emissions, including intake or exhaust noise. Removing the catalytic converter on a car, or a new motorcycle constitutes tampering.

Violating this anti-tampering law opens you up to a fine of up to $10,000 per occurrence . An occurrence is logged each and everyday the modified vehicle is operated on public streets. That means a possible fine of up to $10,000 per day

Old 10-09-2007, 09:32 PM
5.0L RiCE EATER

Okay, damn. I wonder if I should just put glasspacks on the car then [>:]. I want the car louder.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:35 PM
F250sd
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Importssuk

go to an auto auction in your area and buy yourself a beater car for $500. if you put 5000 miles or less on the car between inspections, you're emissions exempt in pa and you can run straight pipes if you want. or, if you wanna be really sneaky about it, you can remove the speedo gear from the trans and your odometer will stop counting and keep yourself under 5000 miles . you'll have to get used to driving w/o a speedometer though. not that i've ever done this myself [&:]
It's not that simple. The car is still not allowed to pass the saftey inspection without the cats either. I know, I am a licensed PA inspection and Emission inspector. The only way to get it to pass would be if you a buddies with someone who will close their eyes.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 PM
5.0L RiCE EATER

Isn't pre-1996 just a visual? Which means the cats would just have to be there, not nessacarily be in function. So hollowing out the cats would be "legal"
Old 10-10-2007, 05:30 PM
F250sd
1st Gear Member

Isn't pre-1996 just a visual? Which means the cats would just have to be there, not nessacarily be in function. So hollowing out the cats would be "legal" [&:]
I depends on which county you are located. Around Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, there is a tail pipe test for Pre 96 cars and a visual test (with Philly using a DYNO test). Tecnically, hollowed out cats would pass a visual as long as teh inspector can't tell, but more than likely it wont pass the sniffer.

Quick Reply: Emissions in PA