5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Max MPG Ford Fox Mustang V8 5.0 better gas miliage!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 05:49 PM
hillbilly pony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: $4 gas? HELP Design fuel efficient hot rod ford engine

I bet though if you really spend time with polishing stocker components and used compression and lift to get the HP then you would be more on the track than bigger heads and traditional hp makers. Exact tolerances with piston wall clearance and PTV clearances. dead nutz tuning with EFI...never gonna hear me say that much...just because you can get the variable stuff more effectively.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LTnone
The short answer is you're never going to get 'great' mileage out of a fox...Sure you can do things like taller gears, etc. but it's never going to be 'great.'
I couldnt agree with you more:
ORIGINAL: Hamutoff
just hoping to get "good" miliage out of pushrod sbf, maybe... not "great" but "better"?
haa ha well I should hope/think that there must be a way to get 30+ highway with modern tech.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:01 PM
ajizzle

the only way to get good mileage is low rpm's and a lightweight vehicle, it doesn't matter what size the engine is either. i have a 95 dodge with a 488 ci engine and i manage 18 mpg daily driving and 15 mpg towing. my 89 lx coupe has 270 hp and always averages at least 23 mpg highway and 20 city with stock gears. My point is you can get awsome mileage in anything as long as you find a way to keep the revs down.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:06 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Could I machine my 289 crank to fit the 5.0 block 1 piece rear seal?
yes, this is exactly what i did with mine [8D]

get the lip ground off the back, then have a seal saver installed and it drops right in. people would never suspect you have a one piece roller 289
Old 11-26-2007, 06:07 PM
hillbilly pony
3rd Gear Member

Yeah bro's but if people always just settled for what was available think of what we would have missed. besides its like imagining what you would do if you won the lottery..lol. most of us wouldnt have access to the Tech to do this anyway.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
five0fm
3rd Gear Member

did any of you guys see the issue of 5.o mustang and superfords where the fox was getting 800 ponies and 20mpg highway with 3.73? maybe you could get some ideas off of that. if i remember correctly he has an auto tranny with overdrive...so that supports your idea of low revs on the highway.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:45 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Your biggest concern is going to be making sure you don't spend so much doing the actual project that it becomes more expensive than the gains. Some of this stuff ain't cheap, unless you'll be driving it dd for a few years make sure you do the math.

PS gears will be a big one on that list, especially for highway driving. Find some stock 2.73's
Old 11-26-2007, 07:30 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

viper spec t56.... because of its .50 od
Old 11-26-2007, 09:24 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yup, LOW o/d is going to be necessary to get "good" mileage out of a V8 with decent power(by current standards). You want some power and good mileage, get a 4 banger and put a turbo on it.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

I still hope that this thread might generate some combos or more suggestions of single parts/packages, but:

ORIGINAL: dimebag
i still say nitrous
Nitrous will not *increase* mpg, nor will it detriment it.

we got funky ignitions and turbos....those are the high dollar parts so far ???
(well I was thinking turbo from the start, see combo #1)

biggest concern is going to be making sure you don't spend so much doing the actual project that it becomes more expensive than the gains. Some of this stuff ain't cheap
Not intending to be RUDE but yes scartastic: YES here are all the HIGH dollar expensive stuff so mentioned
289 with ... a small well tuned carb
GT40P heads
E7's or E6's (heads)
low rpm's and a lightweight vehicle
WOW actually everything turned up being dirt cheap or stuff that mostly folks dont want....
(excepting the funky ignitions and turbos already mentioned which are good ideas)
Additionally low rpm's are inherently cheap because the engine doesnt have to be built "to the hilt",
"to the bleeding edge", its not going to need constant tunining either
Lightweight veh, well this is in the selection

*note my three notchbacks anyone*

also you can remove stuff thats free.... however I wont forget light wieght parts, tubular k-member, use of aluminum,
also (here's the expensive stuff) super lightweight pistons, and conn rods...

Other than that folks have been saying gt40p heads stock cams 289 internal parts.... off the shelf cheep stuff

Im just saying that if somebody puts together a combo here that makes sense Ill build it!

For one idea, do you agree that turbos would be better in this application than for example the new paxton sc?

Quick Reply: Max MPG Ford Fox Mustang V8 5.0 better gas miliage!