5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

how to remove door panel

Old 02-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Pietrasz4
3rd Gear Member

Default how to remove door panel

how do you remove the door panel on a 91GT? my passenger side door handle dosent work on the inside but it does on the outside. when i get the panel off id like to replace the door lock actuator and the power window motors, is this hard to do? thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 11:38 AM
maiello2169
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: how to remove door panel

There are four phillips screws...and then there are two 10mm bolts(?) holding the armrest/handle part. They're under two plastic covers. Then there are some plactic clips behind it attaching it to the door. They should pop out with a flat head, if you have a panel popper it would be easier though. Then it just slides up and the only thing holding it in will be the wiring for the buttons, which unscrew from the back. Be very careful...those plastic clips will probably be pretty brittle.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:43 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

1 screw holding inside door handle cover.1 on speaker grill. Remove 2 armrest plugs, then the 2 bolt behind plugs. There is also a screw at one end on corner of armrest, not sure if u need to remove this one. Last you need either a panel pulling tool to release clips or pull by hand. FYI you might need new clips after you pull panel...no worries, panel retaining clips are cheap.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:02 PM
RedMachAndOrangeFox
2nd Gear Member

and replacing the window motor and the door actuator are really easy to do, for the window motor there is 1 power cable then 3 8mm botls i think and it just slips right out
Old 02-21-2008, 03:02 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

replacing the motor is a little more complicated. You have to remove the door glass. You must punch the center of the rivets out then drill the rivet out with a 1/4' bit. Then you'll remove 4 rivets that hold the regulator and motor in. Also remove the center rail which ia 11mm bolts, use vise grips to clamp the regulator before removing motor
Old 02-21-2008, 07:08 PM
RedMachAndOrangeFox
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang8689

replacing the motor is a little more complicated. You have to remove the door glass. You must punch the center of the rivets out then drill the rivet out with a 1/4' bit. Then you'll remove 4 rivets that hold the regulator and motor in. Also remove the center rail which ia 11mm bolts, use vise grips to clamp the regulator before removing motor

your car is probably different cause i never had to punch any rivits or remove the glass to get the motor out, 3 bolts 1 connectors and it comes right out...
Old 02-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

A couple of things that wasn't mentioned that I do is I remove the mirror trim cover (1 screw) and remove the switches fro the armrest before I remove the panel. I unbolt the armrest (2 screws and 2 bolts) then unscrew the trim around the switches then unbolt them from the back and then just fish them through the door panel while removing it. My 93 also does not require removal of the glass to remove the motor. Also dont put a new motor in. The one in it is probably fine it just need new bushings. For these you can go get the bushings from the dealer or some some 5/16"-18 nuts (6 per side) and put them in the place of the bushings.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

It should be pretty self explanatory by looking at it... The mirror cover I would remove, the switches unplug form the armrest after you unscrew it. Dont take the switches out of the armrest.