5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

88 GT TTops Project Thread *pics*

Old 03-11-2008, 02:42 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My 88 GT TTops Project Thread

Sounds like a fun project. As long as you keep at it your cars gonna be great.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RODRIGUEZ

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for this diamond in the rough?
The guy was askin $2800... The timing chain cover had a hole in it where it let the coolant run out so it hadn't been ran for a while. I patched it temporairly with jb weld and it ran but it had a slight knock.

But I got it for $1500. I feel like it was a good deal.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:02 PM
x1n54n3x
1st Gear Member

lol talked him down more than half good stuff
Old 03-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

I received my new bumper cover while I was on vacation for 3 days. Opened up the bubble wrap and I think DHL used it in a Demolition derby. It's broke worse than my old one. I contacted the seller Thursday and haven't heard back yet.

Also went to the machine shop doing my engine on Thursday. It was a pretty cool experience. The guy doing my engine's pretty cool he gave me a tour of his shop told me about some of the engines he's doing currently. He flux tested my heads I think that's what it's called. There weren't any cracks and he had the valves done so the heads were ready to assemble and get a 3 angle valve job.

His helper had started boring out my block while I was there so I got to watch some of that. They were taking it 20 over because the cylinders were in good shape. This is the engines first rebuild. The crank was shot so they had to order a new one. It's going smoothly so it shouldn't be to long before I get it back. He had a big box of new parts for it there .

I almost have most of the stuff out of the engine bay so I can repaint it. I'm debating on if I want to take the time to do a complete color change or not. It will be a lot of work so I'm unsure at the moment.

Oh and it was suggested to me to take my injectors to NAPA to have them cleaned and the o rings and stuff replaced and also flow tested. One of them was bad causing it to pour gas into the cylinder. I'm assuming that was the reason for it running rich and also possibly the cylinder that was allowing gas into the oil. Would that be possible? I'm assuming there was so much gas in the cylinder it just forced it by.

No new pics yet.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:02 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

O rings are easy and cheap but yes get the injectors tested 1 bad injector can ruin an engine
Old 03-23-2008, 09:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

hmmmm ..rough...but lots of potential..keep up the good work
Old 03-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

sounds good so far

lot of work, but fun work

hows the transmission faring? gonna rebuild that too?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

The transmission is good and it has a pretty new clutch so that's not going to be a problem. Tuesday I'm going to be picking up my paint. Mostlikely going with white, the origonal color. I'd like to change it to red, but my interior is red and I don't have the funds to swap it.

The engine bay should be ready for paint by the end of the week and possibly painted by the end of the weekend.

And I guess the one injector staying open was causing the car to appear like it's run rich? I'm hoping that's the cause of it and not something else.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:56 PM
88ttop5.0
2nd Gear Member

Gotta love a t-top car especially 88's like ours... your pretty much at the same point as my car is how are your t-tops do they leak at all? good find and price on buying it.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

I don't know if they leak or not. The headliner isn't destroyed or anything but yeah. I won't know if it leaks untill after I get it painted cause I've got some bondo on it and I don't want to get it wet. If it does I'm going to buy weatherstripping for the whole car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 GT TTops Project Thread *pics*