5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1987 Mustang GT with T TOPS road to restore!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:56 PM
chadomac
1st Gear Member

Default **UPDATE FINALLY**1987 Mustang GT with T TOPS road to restore!!

Hello everyone first post but been reading for a while sorry such a long post 21 year story in the making. so heres the story i am a 36 year old male when i was 17 my older brother bought a mustang yep a 87 gt with t tops from the moment i laid eyes on that car i was in LOVE!! as the years went by he sold the car but it always stayed with me in my mind. as i grew older i had my fair share of mustangs ranging from a few 60's models a few 70's 80's and 90's models. but my true passion was the fox body. i live in ohio and a 87 gt t top car is near imp to find could never line the money and car up at the right time. about ten years ago i came in to some money and thought all right its that time well i looked for a month or so and good not find one so i settled for a 86 gt vert great car just didnt fill the need or desire i had. well over the next ten years i got rid of the vert got married had a little boy and went about life well here about a month ago the BUG came a crawling back this time i was going to MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!. I had some money saved and i was going to find my ELANOR!! So on febuary 16 i googled 1987 mustang gt t top after sitting on the computer for well over 3 hours going through page after page trying to find one close enough to me and in my price range that i could do the work to myself (to get it the way i wanted) i found her!! she was in bowling green ky about 4 hours from cincy.i contacted the guy and he sent me some pics didnt look bad so i told him i would take it. the following sat me my wife and my boss (hes a car guy also) set out to get her and bring her home. well 4 hours later we are pulling in the drive way and im looking at her face to face. i know you guys are saying its just a car but to me this was the end of a 21 year journey (and the start of a LOT of work) the car has not been tagged in 7 years as it was going to be changed over to a strip car 2 owners ago and he never got around to it it just sat in his garage for 5 years then the last owner was going to redo it for his wife but never got around to doing it sat for anther 2 years. well took it for a test drive and she ran great so on the trailer she went back to cincy she was coming. well the work has started to bring her back to life i will update this post with pics of her as i go i have already started fixing the small things on her the things that go bad over time door pins door handles headliner again i have a few pics i will post in a bit she is in my garage and not going anywhere my four year old son says its his mustang and he is going to drive it when he gets older and you know what HE WILL!!! thanks for reading CHAD

Last edited by chadomac; 04-16-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 1987 Mustang GT with T TOPS road to restore!!

Good deal man, keep us posted on the progress.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:20 PM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

hey chad where in ohio are you i live in buckeyelake ohio and have an 87 gt t-top that i love very much(maybe even more than my wife lol).i bought mine wrecked and restored it so if you ever have any questions about one let me know i have had mine stripped to the bare bones and back together and now getting started on the engine mods , if you are not to far away from me i would love to help ya drop me a pm man!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:35 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

nice! well lets see some pics of her
Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 PM
chadomac
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangbanger87

hey chad where in ohio are you i live in buckeyelake ohio and have an 87 gt t-top that i love very much(maybe even more than my wife lol).i bought mine wrecked and restored it so if you ever have any questions about one let me know i have had mine stripped to the bare bones and back together and now getting started on the engine mods , if you are not to far away from me i would love to help ya drop me a pm man!
i actually live in clermont county, amelia. so i thinks about 2 hours or so from buckeye lake. i would love to get any help i can! lol! thanks!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:33 PM
chadomac
1st Gear Member

here is a pic of it from where i picked it up at.....
like i said, she needs some work, lol!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:26 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Looks pretty good, just needs a new paint job. And maybe a ram air hood. How much you pay for it?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:32 PM
chadomac
1st Gear Member

Paid two grand. it does need some work, sat for years, the previous owner did put in new back and front seats, needs seat belts still, has the 4 10 gears in it now, i want to change those also. i just replaced the drivers side door.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 PM
chadomac
1st Gear Member

I want to replace the wheels also, get the cobra r wheels. the driver side tire has a hole in the sidewall. wanting to go for the sunburst orange paint from dupont, not positive yet.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:40 PM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

don't sound to bad , i like the color your talkin about . and that was agood buy on that i gave 1800 for mine and it was wrecked .it have any mods on it yet or still stock .

Quick Reply: 1987 Mustang GT with T TOPS road to restore!!