5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

first time to the drag stip in the stang, tranny issues fixed ***RESULTS***

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default first time to the drag stip in the stang, tranny issues fixed ***RESULTS***

well dispite all the issues ive had with my transmission, im going racing tommarow.
ive raced my motorcycle a few times, but never a car, so this should be interesting.

only question i have about racing the car is what tire presure do you guys recomend? (running BFgoodrich radial T/A's 235 15's in the rear barley any tread left)

well you guys prob remember my dyno video of my car shifting on the dyno at 4300RPM.

even though i had the car in drive, whitch is sapposed to limit it to 3rd gear, the car shifted up to 4th at 4300rpm on the dyno[:@]

well ever sence then, its gotten a little worse.

about 90% of the time now, when full throttle, it will stay in first gear, bang out of first at 5k rpm like its sapposed to, but will go strait from second, to 3rd gear, even under full throttle!!!

so it go's from 5krpm in first, to 2k rpm in 3rd. it will stay in 3rd untill 4300 rpm where it shifts into 4th.

not exactily effective for drag racing!

today i was going to take it to the shop, just to have them try and see if its a vac' leak, or the TV cable is not adjusted right, etc.

but just wanted to get your guys opinions on what could cause this.

89 mustang lx 5.0 AOD tranny, sapposed to have been rebuild 40k miles ago, and shift kit installed.

any opinions on the transmisson, or drag racing would be great

Old 07-29-2008, 08:40 AM
sem76
1st Gear Member

Default RE: going to the drag strip tommarow 4 the first time + tranny issues

I'm going to the drags tomorrow too. I hope you're not going to NED cause I don't want to wait for them to clean up your blown tranny oil on the track. (jk) Anyway good luck.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

have fun and get a new tranny in that thing!![8D]
Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Explosive

Have fun, tell us what you run.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:08 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

have fun at the track, I personally would not run it with the trans messed up that bad
Old 07-29-2008, 04:22 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bighungrymatt

have fun at the track, I personally would not run it with the trans messed up that bad
i see it this way, id much rather blow it at the track, then blow it on the highway.

i dont think i have to go into detail why i think its better to blow at the track, ill leave that up to your imaginations of 50 car pileup's[]

new tranny of choice is a "race" build TKO500, will be building a parts pile here pretty soon, pull the tranny durring the winter, and the first day of 50+ degreee wheather ill be putting it in.

well......... thats the plan
we shall see how that go's
Old 07-29-2008, 04:24 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sem76

I'm going to the drags tomorrow too. I hope you're not going to NED cause I don't want to wait for them to clean up your blown tranny oil on the track. (jk) Anyway good luck.
lol, nah, Bandimere speedway, colorado

5880ft elevation at the track + tranny shifting issues = retarded bad times a given[&:]
Old 07-29-2008, 07:00 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

*****************************UPDATE*************** **************************

went to a local MACCO tranny shop, guy in the back said he had worked on mustangs plenty, so he test drove my car, dident really get on it too hard.
i understand though, because of my exhaust leak, my cars pretty obnoixious loud right now.

well we get it back to the shop and he checks my throttle, and TV cable (tranny line w/e its called)

he said it was pretty tight, and seemed to be in the right place, but that he would adjust it a little tighter and see how it acts.

so i drove this time, and as soon as we pulled out, i noticed the throttle was "stiffer" as in it was a tiny tiny bit physicaly harder to press down the throttle.

traffic was heavy, but i noticed the car took a little longer to upshift (car use to shift into second at 1100rpm with light throttle, was a little dumb at times.)

also when letting off the trottle, it would downshift stiffer, yet smoother!!!

got on to the local highway, couldent get on it hard yet, but was doing about 40 when it cleared out at the top of the ramp, stomped it to the floor (car use to shift down to second, then right back into third, so no acceleration)

to my amazement, it held it all the way through second gear (shifting into 3rd at 60mph) kept into the throttle (car use to come out of 3rd at 4300rpm, 80mph, no matter what, even if i had the car in Drive instead of over drive) and got up to 4700-4800rpm about 85-90mph before i let off for traffic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did a second pull from 60mph to 90mph and it held in 3rd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, im very happy.

shop dident charge me anything, guys where cool. I think though they dident charge me, becase they dont want to have to be held liable for anything (wear and tear on the tranny due to the tighter cable)

i would have kept driving, but the wheather is looking pretty crappy, and traffic is real real heavy right now.

ill be driving tonight to make sure its working alright, but as of right now, it felt much much better

Old 07-31-2008, 01:00 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

heres the results of my race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCUqwc1DBrc

not the times at all i thought id run..... makes me kinda second guess my car [][:'(][:@]
(car feels fast, but times are slow)

idk, car was 3570lbs with my 230lb butt in the car.... (no spare tire, no junk in the car other then a couple bottles of water, 2 helmets in case we needed em, and some food to eat at the track. full interior, no weight reduction other then the mod's listed in the video.)

5900ft elevation + AOD transmission + crap tires + 1200rpm launch = CRRRRRRRRRRAP times......

i can see a 100 shot of juice, tires, and tunein my very near future.......

thouse runs where the best ones, had 5 runs total, so i dont think i could get any faster with the current condition of the car
Old 07-31-2008, 01:08 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

LOL at cop car running behind you

Well, i was afraid to take mine to the track with the old motor, i got beat by my brother stock civic in it [&:]

which runs a 16.6813 with me driving [&:]

So i know it would of been even worse

Quick Reply: first time to the drag stip in the stang, tranny issues fixed ***RESULTS***