5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

heads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Explosive

Originally Posted by ctlazersplaya07
so having the 5.0 five speed.....when looking up camshafts....i saw something about clearances....what is that and how would i know what clearance i need
Piston to valve clearance ? Bigger cam,rockers more lift means your valves will be opening more and could hit your pistons. Thats a bad thing. So you check your PTV (piston to valve ) clearance. And if need be you have your pistons fly cut to clear. I doubt you would be having any issues if you get mile heads cam.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Dazzalad
1st Gear Member

Just get you some Thumper heads and a TFS stage 1 cam, you will be all set. Google "Thumper heads" you will find them. They run you about $700 w/o a core and a little less with a core.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:27 AM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dazzalad
Just get you some Thumper heads and a TFS stage 1 cam, you will be all set. Google "Thumper heads" you will find them. They run you about $700 w/o a core and a little less with a core.
I am not knocking the thumper heads, but I would never pay that kind of money for reworked iron heads. I've seen what they can do, but you really have no more room to grow with them and that's about all you get out of 'em. Besides, for $700 you can get some nice used Trickflow wedge heads.

If you're new to cars though and don't know alot about how things work, I would suggest you either:

1) buy parts off a friend who knows alot about cars and wouldn't screw you over, or would help you find the parts you need

2) buy your parts new. While this is more expensive, this guarantees that you don't have stuff broken, mismatched, poor porting, etc.

That's just my advice. There's plenty of people that will screw you out of your money when it comes to car parts, and if you don't know what you're looking at it can be real easy to make an expensive mistake.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:34 PM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtmustang
well what intake do u already have and what kind of driving do u do withthe car..?
i have a bbk fenderwell intake and i'm a pretty aggressive driver. i dont take my car down to the strip really, but my town is filled with little honda civics that push about 200 hp and think american cars are a joke, and i love beating them now......but i really just want them to feel so bad about their cars that they take off their annoying ricer exhausts. so basically a little stop and go on the streets and a little on the high ways
Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 PM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
I am not knocking the thumper heads, but I would never pay that kind of money for reworked iron heads. I've seen what they can do, but you really have no more room to grow with them and that's about all you get out of 'em. Besides, for $700 you can get some nice used Trickflow wedge heads.

If you're new to cars though and don't know alot about how things work, I would suggest you either:

1) buy parts off a friend who knows alot about cars and wouldn't screw you over, or would help you find the parts you need

2) buy your parts new. While this is more expensive, this guarantees that you don't have stuff broken, mismatched, poor porting, etc.

That's just my advice. There's plenty of people that will screw you out of your money when it comes to car parts, and if you don't know what you're looking at it can be real easy to make an expensive mistake.
yea...i wouldnt buy used parts just cause i wouldnt know if im getting screwed, but i have a friend that works at a really good shop and he does a lot of the work on my car and lets me watch in while he does it. so i'll probably buy the heads and cam and just watch him put it in and pay him the littl;e he asks for just for the time in the garage. but i see people talking about doing work to their existing heads.....is that a possibility with my stock heads? or should i just pay for the new ones
Old 08-17-2008, 11:48 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121

you would if you were entering into a factory stock, or F-ST class... which is where thumper makes his money
Old 08-18-2008, 02:08 AM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
you would if you were entering into a factory stock, or F-ST class... which is where thumper makes his money
Yes, well that's a given. If I were running stock class, I would consider him a good place to start. I am thinking this is just a street car, though. ;P

And yes, I would say it's probably a good idea to get new parts and just learn from your friend how things work. New is always a good direction if you've got the resources to do it.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:11 AM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

yea...i wouldnt buy used parts just cause i wouldnt know if im getting screwed, but i have a friend that works at a really good shop and he does a lot of the work on my car and lets me watch in while he does it. so i'll probably buy the heads and cam and just watch him put it in and pay him the littl;e he asks for just for the time in the garage. but i see people talking about doing work to their existing heads.....is that a possibility with my stock heads? or should i just pay for the new ones
You can rework those heads to make them alot better, but the question really comes in when cost starts climbing to get that work done. It's up to you, really. If you're just looking for something to tear it up on the interstate and occasionally at the track when you're feeling lucky, I'd probably just save some skrilla and get some nice heads ready to go out of the box.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:22 PM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

okay.....i didnt know if having work done on my existing heads would be cheaper
Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

okay.....i didnt know if having work done on my existing heads would be cheaper
Well, get some price quotes from reputable machiners in your area. I expect it will be fairly expensive, but if you know someone who does it that will help.