5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Seafoam treatment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Boostfiend
1st Gear Member

Default Seafoam treatment.

So I decided to try to clean the 17 years of accumulated crap out of my Notch. Here is a pic during the process. It was horrible. Seafoam worked pretty good though, just make sure you do it before a tune up so your not messing up new plugs.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:19 PM
NYMustang50
3rd Gear Member

lol i did the same thing in both my car and truck... it was bad.. especially when i smoked out my whole block.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:09 AM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

You should try it with Marvels Mystery Oil! You can't see the car, the house, the neighborhood..you might not even see the sky for 10 minutes or so. It's a bit scary the first time you do it because the smoke just keeps coming and your not sure if you f'd up, at least it was for me.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:13 AM
nitrousd85
2nd Gear Member

so not to sound like a dumb *** but some one walk me through this proscess im interested in doing this to a couple of my cars
Old 10-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Boostfiend
1st Gear Member

Go buy the bottles of Seafoam, read the directions. Basically what it involves is removing a vacum line and sucking half a bottle of Seafoam into the motor, then letting it sit for awhile. The starting it back up and holding it at a high idle suck the rest of the Seafoam into the motor when it's empty reconnect the vacum. Then sit in the car and hold the rpms while smoke billows out your exhaust.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:25 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

what does it do exactly? and why does it smoke? will it work with newer cars?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:04 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Does it basicly clean out the oil and crap out of the intake runners and what not?
Old 10-12-2008, 08:20 PM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Does it basicly clean out the oil and crap out of the intake runners and what not?
Yes, it will do that and then some. Since the Seaform is pulled into the engine, while at normal operating temp, it crystalizes the carbon on the valves and pistons so it gets flaky and burns off. It will also help loosen stuck piston rings. The can states that you get 1/3 of the can in the intake system via the brake booster hose, then shut the engine off and wait 10 minutes or so and start it up. Pretty simple. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Boostfiend
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by U S Marine
Yes, it will do that and then some. Since the Seaform is pulled into the engine, while at normal operating temp, it crystalizes the carbon on the valves and pistons so it gets flaky and burns off. It will also help loosen stuck piston rings. The can states that you get 1/3 of the can in the intake system via the brake booster hose, then shut the engine off and wait 10 minutes or so and start it up. Pretty simple. Try it, you'll like it.
Yeah it is very simple. Yuo'd be suprised at how much crap it cleans up. Just have to be careful because it tends to foul plugs and 02 sensors. I did mine because I plan on doing a tune up in the next few days.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:34 PM
holtzer1

be careful when doing it too, i saw a new tech at the shop launch a rod through a block doing the same thing. too much too fast will result in hydrolocking the engine...which will end up disasterous.

Quick Reply: Seafoam treatment.