5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

stang running like sh*t!!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Crimson_93GT

Default stang running like sh*t!!!!

hey guys, i got a problem with my stang.
last night my stang took a sh*t. it was runnin mint when i pulled into my driveway and shut it off. i had to move my truck to get into my garage. i went to start it again and it started but the engine was shaking and vibrating the car throughout the entire rpm band. i only run 93 octaine and i just installed last week some 9mm ford racing plug wires, a msd street fire coil, and ngk v-power plugs gapped @.054.
heres some things i checked.
plugs,wires, distributor, cap and rotor, coil, checked the timing +13 deg, checked the k&n filter for debris, checked for vacume leaks, checked the mass air sensor, and i disconected the battery overnight to reset the computer.
any help or suggestions is greatly apprecieated cuz the stang is going in storage this week and i dont want to tow it there. thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 08:47 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

did it act like that before or after the battery disconnection overnight? if it was after then you computer needs to relearn all of its running values and will kind of ran like crap for a few minutes until it learns everything again.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Just recheck all the spark plug wires to make sure they have a good connection, maybe even pull a plug from each bank and take a look at them...That will suck to have to put the car in storage with a problem!

Also, maybe some bad fuel?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Crimson_93GT

Originally Posted by timspony
Just recheck all the spark plug wires to make sure they have a good connection, maybe even pull a plug from each bank and take a look at them...That will suck to have to put the car in storage with a problem!

Also, maybe some bad fuel?
it would suck to put it away broke and it would be bothering me all winter that i couldnt fix it.
last night i replaced all the new ford racing wires with brand new accel wires, i pulled all the plugs and they arent even discolored, i put a new msd cap and rotor on it, i got rid of the msd coil and put a mallory coil on it, i had the computer re learn its idle specs, and i drained all the gas from system and put some 93 i got from the mobil station up the street from my house.
after all that it was exactly the same, shaking and rattling away.

is it possible that i could have bent a valve or a push rod? because there are no knocks in the motor, it has 101k on it and i never took it above 5700 rpm. im starting to think its internal so im gonna pull the valve covers tonight and ill let you guys know what i find.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:12 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

have you checked for vac leaks?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 AM
DJ19895.0
2nd Gear Member

Your car can run its own diagnostic checks! Check for codes: http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,2471.0.html
Old 10-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Crimson_93GT

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
have you checked for vac leaks?
Yea I checked last night. There a few leaks from the cruise control and a few heater settings but I capped or fixed them, but it didnt make that much of a difference. I didn't get around to pulling the valve covers, but I did do a compression check on the engine. It read #1-140psi,#2-148psi, #3-140psi,
#4-151psi, #5-160psi, #6-152psi, #7-146psi, #8-150psi.
The only other things were, facing the distributor the plugs from cyl 2 and 3 smelled like fuel and the plugs from cyl 5,7,and 8 the side electrode was bent towards the center electrode, which was not like that when I put the plugs in a week earlier, which were all straight and properly gapped when installed. Also the porcelain on the plugs was very clean with no discoloration which makes me think I have a fuel issue or im leaning out. Im gonna put a new fuel filter on it tonight and maybe send my injectors out to get them flow tested.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Crimson_93GT

Originally Posted by DJ19895.0
Your car can run its own diagnostic checks! Check for codes: http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,2471.0.html
thanks, ill check that out when i get home, but idk if it will tell me anything cuz im not throwing any check engine or service lights. but ill try anything at this point.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

if your comp is throwin codes it does not always light up the cel.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Compression looks good...can you put a fuel pressure gauge on the car? I'm thinking that it might be the fuel pressure reg. (is it adjustable?)

What injectors are in the car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stang running like sh*t!!!!