5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1989 Mustang California Special Edition Saleen INFO??? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:41 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

I'll try and link the pics... Some guy is selling one.

Give me a couple of minutes.

Last edited by cleanfitty; 10-30-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:50 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Looks legit to me.. roush and saleen get wild hairs up there butts and come out with little things here and there. there so many editions i read about all the time iv never heard of but they make em. just like a v6roush was made.. why? i dunno but it was lol
Old 10-30-2008, 03:05 PM
86_GT_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Its that if it was legit you would think there would be info somewhere
Old 10-30-2008, 04:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by cleanfitty
Check this out

Some of you guys shouldn't be so quick to judge.
it doesn't mean a thing, obviously you can see it has been doctored, real saleen's will have authentic documention and plaques....I wouldn't be so quick to assume a CA edition exists cause some dealer/ independent person wants to advertise his doctored "GT" as such...you wouldn't believe how many fake clone cobras I saw last year at the big ford show in PA last year......post the info on a saleen specific site and see what they say
Old 10-30-2008, 04:54 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86_GT_Mustang
Its that if it was legit you would think there would be info somewhere
Not necssarily, back then there was no internet. If there were a handfull of special edition cars made, it may not be documented very well, possibly only a handfull of dealers sold them... who knows... kindof like the 82 SS, do any exist? Do any brouchures still exist?

When things happen nowadays, there is proof on the web and it stays there. When something was done 20 years ago, and there are only a few floating around, no one knows about them. People who worked in the factory prolly aren't around kicking anymore. Kindof like the white Twister 2... no one knew they existed until one was spotted at a show, they thought they only came out in red.

Also, documentation can be rare as it was not a production car from the factory, rather it was a car that was modified somewhat from a third party...

A couple other cars that come to mind are the NF150, the Saleen Ranger. Another odd one is the Roush 360r. Will anyone remeber the Thunderbolt Ranger in 20 years?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:58 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
it doesn't mean a thing, obviously you can see it has been doctored, real saleen's will have authentic documention and plaques....I wouldn't be so quick to assume a CA edition exists cause some dealer/ independent person wants to advertise his doctored "GT" as such...you wouldn't believe how many fake clone cobras I saw last year at the big ford show in PA last year......post the info on a saleen specific site and see what they say

How is it a doctored GT? They both have the same fender stickers, same color car, etc.

Yes, the one I pictured does have newer wheels, but who's to say it ain't legit?

HOSS302 is correct about special eds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:EF:US:1123

I guess were a bit special here in CA.

Last edited by cleanfitty; 10-30-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Slakkr183
1st Gear Member

It does sit VERY LOW! It is very quick as said previous. I do have a plaque with the car. I will get pictures very soon. I dont think it is a fake at all. Original paint and everything.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Slakkr183
1st Gear Member

Here is a picture of the plaque...

Old 10-30-2008, 07:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

LOL^^^^^^^^^THAT'S the vin number that is suppose to be affixed in the front lower left corner of the windshield
Old 10-30-2008, 07:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by cleanfitty
How is it a doctored GT? They both have the same fender stickers, same color car, etc.

Yes, the one I pictured does have newer wheels, but who's to say it ain't legit?

HOSS302 is correct about special eds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:EF:US:1123

I guess were a bit special here in CA.
It has gt ground effects and a saleen front facia...and non saleen wheels and on the left front top of the bumper saleen authentically numbered which production number it was and I see GT seats...saleens had halo headrests and a 2 inch cowl hood = not a saleen trade mark......bottom line is my 92 has a cobra emblem plastered on it and a saleen wing does that make it a cobra saleen.....ya' know those are the rarest of 'em all ??? but your correct...who's to say it isn't legit????.....without looking it over first hand no telling what it really is but based on visual evidence it doesn't bare the marks of a real saleen

Quick Reply: 1989 Mustang California Special Edition Saleen INFO??? Anyone?