Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 5.0L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

1989 Mustang California Special Edition Saleen INFO??? Anyone?

Old 05-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #41
mjr46
Pro-comp heads rule!

Vehicle: 85 mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdderMk2 View Post
. A good example is MJR46's car. IIRC he is running AFR185cc heads, Comp Cams XE282HR, and IDK what intake, on his 347. His car turns low 11 second runs with a gearset that doesn't belong under a N/A car. All through a T5 gearbox, so you know he isn't even banging on it!

!
the xe282 cam is long gone, it has a FTI custom cam now and ported air gap intake from FTI, BUT APART from a spring upgrade the heads are afr 185's out of the box and the t-5 blew on the street a while back, dang s/c cobra ......has a tremec 3550 now
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegirl View Post
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #42
AdderMk2
Banned

Vehicle: 94 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to AdderMk2

wow... shows how long I'VE been out of the loop....
AdderMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #43
Slakkr183
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 89 Mustang 5.0 California Edition

Hmm so a Set AFR 185cc heads? Would the 205's be too much? What about a suggestion on Cam? I hear alot about custom cams, but i think id rather go with a pre-made cam due to the fact that i might end up changing a few things here or there as time goes by...
Old 05-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #44
AdderMk2
Banned

205 would be fine, but you will definitely want to be careful with your cam selection with such large heads.

the Comp Cams 35-775-8 isnt bad
Old 05-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #45
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 91 Ford Mustang GT RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdderMk2 View Post
205 would be fine, but you will definitely want to be careful with your cam selection with such large heads.

the Comp Cams 35-775-8 isnt bad
What do you mean by being careful with such large heads? What is the concern your thinking about?

I was actually considering 205's myself and will have to choose a good cam to match. I'm curious what your getting at in case I screw up and get the wrong cam
Old 05-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #46
Slakkr183
1st Gear Member

Well Id definintely rather get the better set of heads which i guess could quiet possibly be the 205's. One of my concerns however would be the compression with those size heads, and cant u actually bog your car with a wrong set of heads that might be too big? i looked into some comp cams, i think i might swing that route. Ill do what i can to keep you posted on how it goes ( i am gonna run the gt40's for about another month or two though )
Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #47
AdderMk2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkr183 View Post
( i am gonna run the gt40's for about another month or two though )
so sad... If you were smart, you'd search over on corral.net for some used heads. Hey arent always a bad deal. I bought my Canfield 195CC heads off Craigslist for almost HALF the BNIB cost.

Not everyone NEEDS new parts... including you.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:57 AM   #48
Slakkr183
1st Gear Member

100000% agreed, im not in need of new parts, just have had trouble finding parts used in my area.. they arent always out there, but ill definitely keep my eyes open. u suggest craigslist as best outlet for used heads and Intake?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:38 AM   #49
AdderMk2
Banned

corral.net
Old 05-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #50
Slakkr183
1st Gear Member

okay ill have to check it out. I did a little research on the 185 and the 205 it seems as if the 205 arent exactly street legal... i would like to do my best to keep this car street legal as possible.. are the heads that much of a dead giveaway when it comes to smog?? Would u still suggest that comp cam to along with these heads? Also i was think 24lb injectors... sound fit?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #51
mjr46
Pro-comp heads rule!

Vehicle: 85 mustang

I can't remember if you're building a stroker?? if so min it should have 30 lb inj's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegirl View Post
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #52
Flossy

Vehicle: 1990 GT

Lets keep this on track in regards to the California Edition 89-90 Gt's... Post away on this thread I made for you gabe, in Which Adder2k is of course a part of.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-...t-347-run.html
Flossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #53
Slakkr183
1st Gear Member

Yes back on Track.. I Also had a man email me about this thread saying he has a saleen ID book of some sort. Im gonna send him my Vin number and see if he can help us come up with something more. Ill keep everyone posted.. Anyone else with this type model mustang should post pictures, wouldnt mind seeing what other ones are out there...
Old 05-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #54
AdderMk2
Banned

by simply going 347, you are already illegal for the street...

Might as well follow through!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #55
brettrix

Vehicle: 1989 ford mustang CA Edition

hey Slakkr - i have a Cali Edition and i know some history - i talked with the people at SALEEN a few years ago (when i bought my 89 gt CA Edition) and they were very helpful - this is the story...

in 1989, in the bay area of California (SF Bay) there were way too many white mustang GTs sitting on the dealers' lots. To get rid of them, 5 dealers (mine was north of SF - in Santa Rosa) decided to hire some techs from Saleen to modify their GTs and make them "California Editions' - the lady at Saleen said about 68 of them were modified and they sold like hot tamales!

the next year, they made about 70 of these editions and they also sold.

their weren't a lot of modifications - mostly suspension modifications (mine actually sits a full inch lower than my 1998 Acura Integra at the roofline) and some body effects and the different wheels - 5 spokes.. and of course, the fender decals and back deck decals...

i will try to get pics to upload but that isn't hi on my priority list at the moment...

the lady said to make these cars worth more we should start a California Edition club and write up histories of our cars as much as possible... i have started - but again - kids take over most my time these days!!!

i plan to go read some of these posts later today
brettrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:33 AM   #56
Flossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettrix View Post
hey Slakkr - i have a Cali Edition and i know some history - i talked with the people at SALEEN a few years ago (when i bought my 89 gt CA Edition) and they were very helpful - this is the story...

in 1989, in the bay area of California (SF Bay) there were way too many white mustang GTs sitting on the dealers' lots. To get rid of them, 5 dealers (mine was north of SF - in Santa Rosa) decided to hire some techs from Saleen to modify their GTs and make them "California Editions' - the lady at Saleen said about 68 of them were modified and they sold like hot tamales!

the next year, they made about 70 of these editions and they also sold.

their weren't a lot of modifications - mostly suspension modifications (mine actually sits a full inch lower than my 1998 Acura Integra at the roofline) and some body effects and the different wheels - 5 spokes.. and of course, the fender decals and back deck decals...

i will try to get pics to upload but that isn't hi on my priority list at the moment...

the lady said to make these cars worth more we should start a California Edition club and write up histories of our cars as much as possible... i have started - but again - kids take over most my time these days!!!

i plan to go read some of these posts later today
From what I have seen, the one he has came with the Saleen mesh wheels that are 4 lug. From what I know though, they may or may not be the original wheels from the car.

Some pictures of your car would be excellent!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #57
loping5.0

Vehicle: 89 mustang gt 5.0 california edition saleen

i would really like to see the pictures, i am subscribed to the saleen forums for my cal edition, my car has factory gt body kit, what kit does yours have? and do you have a saleen badge where the ford badge should be on the hatch? i'm trying to compare cars with someone else who has one, i am planning to do a ground up restoration on the car and i want to get it as correct as possible
loping5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #58
loping5.0

Vehicle: 89 mustang gt 5.0 california edition saleen
Default heres my california edtion saleen,

Click the image to open in full size.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1013841...06237889255490

i hope these pics show up
loping5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #59
Flossy

Those aren't the stock wheels. The stock wheels that came with them were white saleen rims, but were 4 lug.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #60
Slakkr183
1st Gear Member

Mine Looks just like yours, Low to the ground and all the same decals. The only difference is the rims from what i can tell. Ill try to Post some pictures next week.. So now ive heard two stories of how these cars came to be.. interesting.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:22 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1989, buy, california, edition, ford, gt, michigan, mustang, mustangs, racecraft, registry, saleen, special, steeda, suspension