5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Supercharger or Turbocharger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:50 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Oklahoma = no emissions

It's run whatcha brung here.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
aahh i see. the only thing i know about smog testing is that a couple bills and my car passes with flying colors LOL
LOL, FORTUNATELY here we don't have emissions either
Old 12-20-2008, 10:16 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FullAuto
Oklahoma = no emissions

It's run whatcha brung here.
I gotta have converters here in Virginia but I dont have emissions.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:44 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FORD TOUGH
We don't have any type of vehicle inspection.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

wow maybe I should move!!!!!!!

Last edited by Hamutoff; 12-20-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:54 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FORD TOUGH
i "have to" have converters on my car too.....doesnt mean i do though. I also dont have emissions
Old 12-21-2008, 05:25 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

lovely iowa....only good thing about this state is no emissions laws
Old 12-21-2008, 05:41 PM
symonds86
3rd Gear Member

in ny if its 95 or older ya dont have to plug it into the states computer for analisis, but you need to have all the emmisions equipment in place and working for "visual inspection". But if yer you know and inspector well or have an inspectors license like myself then, well you get the idea
Old 12-23-2008, 06:39 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hamutoff
I want to chime in and ramble please allow me to be a little picky for a second! When asking if turbo or supercharged I smile because the question you are asking is really 'what type of supercharger OR supercharging would you recommend that i use' your parameters are *not n/a*
for example my 62 corvair is turbo supercharged, makes sense the turbo is the type of supercharger... the type of *not n/a* it says so in its manuals and when looking up in my dictionary/encyclopedia supercharging is general meaning over normal atm. I know people use "bling rims" instead of wheels even though the "rim of a wheel" and a "wheel" are different and the one that makes me laugh the most is "posi" is used for EVERYTHING even though a registered GM trademark for their LSD, ford uses trac-loc I know I know I just had to ramble and I apologize!

I would love to go for my street/fun/bracket car a simple single turbo but I never have found a legal kit, the only turbo legal 5.0 kit I have ever heard of is the defunct Incon Twin Turbo Kit,
http://members.tripod.com/tomak3/page5.html
you have to cut the body/engine bay and it IS two of them HOWEVER "You don't have to relocate your battery and your stock H-pipe bolts right up" which is a plus... If you can find the kits. I have been looking at the two new "Paxton Self-Lubricating Centrifugal Supercharger"
http://www.motorator.com/blog/hot-ro...l-supercharger

anyways those are my two favroite choices and I dont meant to offend with my ramblings but just bring up a point for a gag-and-smile ok
It's a difference in preference as to what you want to call it. Personally I find people funny when they say turbo supercharged because they come off to me as not knowing what they're talking about and seem to be trying to come off like they know what they're talking about by calling someone out on a technicality when most car people know the difference. But for all I know you could have been one of the first kit builders. Most people that know about it know that a turbocharger is a type of supercharger, but most also know that a turbo isn't the same as a supercharger by design or definition since it is defined as driven by exhaust gasses, whereas you don't hear people saying they have a belt driven turbo.
Again not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but keeping thoughts like that generally come off like you're trying to make someone look like they're stupid.

In any case, The stock H pipe isn't a good option if you plan on making quite a bit of power nor are most aftermarket ones, plumbing a turbo kit into them generally requires putting unnecessary bends into the exhaust system which can cost you power.
You can get around hacking up your car if you're willing to modify aftermarket turbo kits or build your own, in most cases the idea is to get cooler air from the fender well as opposed to warmer air in the engine bay.
Originally Posted by symonds86
in ny if its 95 or older ya dont have to plug it into the states computer for analisis, but you need to have all the emmisions equipment in place and working for "visual inspection". But if yer you know and inspector well or have an inspectors license like myself then, well you get the idea
So you could help us pass an inspection?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by FoxGT
thanks for putting me in my place I learned my lesson not to ever share thoughts even when stated as humorous and already aplologized for.