5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Could I run skinnys on my daily driver?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:49 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

I would say that if you have just a bolt on 5.0 that sees the street way more then the strip then its a ricer mod. Wouldn't it be something watching a V6 Accord hand it to a guy running big and littles? Why don't you add wheelie bars and a shoot while your at it.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 AM
83glx5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
I would say that if you have just a bolt on 5.0 that sees the street way more then the strip then its a ricer mod. Wouldn't it be something watching a V6 Accord hand it to a guy running big and littles? Why don't you add wheelie bars and a shoot while your at it.
Do you auto-x or road race your vert? If not your such a ricer for running fat tires all around. Wouldn't it be embarrassing to see someone with 9'' wide wheels with fat tires all around be beat by a civic si around corners....
Old 12-18-2008, 01:45 AM
85lxstang

hahahaha...this is entertaining
Old 12-18-2008, 01:52 AM
5.0stang123
2nd Gear Member

I agree with 83 ragtop, why eould you sacrifice performence for looks? And imo skinnies look stupid. What is the point of them anyways? Does the lighter weight really make that much of a diff? And is it worth the decreased cornering and braking?
Old 12-18-2008, 02:13 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83glx5.0
Do you auto-x or road race your vert? If not your such a ricer for running fat tires all around. Wouldn't it be embarrassing to see someone with 9'' wide wheels with fat tires all around be beat by a civic si around corners....
Difference is I made my car perform better on the street. Where I drive it. Making ones car handle better helps out at the track and on the street. By doing suspension mods to my car, it has made it worlds more fun to drive on the street and the twisties behind my house. It also makes my car safer by proving a bigger contact while braking. Lastly my car looks great with 245's.

Adding big n littles is strictly a drag strip only mod. At the detriment of street driving experience and safety. Cars that run big n littles run low ET's, like 12's or less. By running them you saying you want your car to look fast. Kind of like Honda's and such do with big wings and exhaust. Your willing to make your daily drive worse just for looks. Just like ricers do.

Bottom line;

My bigger wheels & tires not only look good they make my car perform better.

Your Big n Littles look good IYO, but sacrifice performance in doing so.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 12-18-2008 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:14 AM
83glx5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0stang123
I agree with 83 ragtop, why eould you sacrifice performence for looks? And imo skinnies look stupid. What is the point of them anyways? Does the lighter weight really make that much of a diff? And is it worth the decreased cornering and braking?
Before i bought my wheels and tires i was running 205's all around. Going from a 205 up front to a 165 was not a noticeable change.

And skinnys are used to improve reaction time....
Old 12-18-2008, 02:16 AM
83glx5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
Difference is I made my car perform better on the street. Where I drive it. Making ones car handle better helps out at the track and on the street. By doing suspension mods to my car, it has made it worlds more fun to drive on the street and the twisties behind my house. It also makes my car safer by proving a bigger contact while braking. Lastly my car looks great with 245's.

Adding big n littles is strictly a drag strip only mod. At the detriment of street driving experience and safety. Your willing to make your daily drive worse just for looks. Just like ricers do.
If i want to blow through the twisties ill hop on my motorcycle....

If i want to have fun in a straight line ill jump in my stang.....
Old 12-18-2008, 02:41 AM
85lxstang

hahah keep this thread going!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0stang123
, why eould you sacrifice performence for looks? And imo skinnies look stupid. What is the point of them anyways? Does the lighter weight really make that much of a diff? And is it worth the decreased cornering and braking?
There lies the answer. How much?

They do increase acceleration performance. How much. I'll bet it's less than a tenth. They increase mileage due to better rolling resistance and aerodynamics. How much. Probably less than 1%.

How much does your braking distance increase. I'll bet it's 15-25 feet from 60 - 0mph. That's not much for the crowd who voted for "don't drive like a dumbass" but here is a scenario for you. How about someone else is driving like a dumbass and you need that distance to avoid an accident.

Same with cornering. Sure you can be prepared and drive accordingly but one day you will need to swerve to avoid diasaster.

All in all. It's not worth the aggrivation deciding. Run what you want and enjoy it.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:52 PM
83glx5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jfsram
There lies the answer. How much?

They do increase acceleration performance. How much. I'll bet it's less than a tenth. They increase mileage due to better rolling resistance and aerodynamics. How much. Probably less than 1%.

How much does your braking distance increase. I'll bet it's 15-25 feet from 60 - 0mph. That's not much for the crowd who voted for "don't drive like a dumbass" but here is a scenario for you. How about someone else is driving like a dumbass and you need that distance to avoid an accident.

Same with cornering. Sure you can be prepared and drive accordingly but one day you will need to swerve to avoid diasaster.

All in all. It's not worth the aggrivation deciding. Run what you want and enjoy it.

I think about driving the same way that i do riding. No matter where your going or what your doing you should always plan an exit. If there is an eratic driver who you think may nail his brakes and make a left turn from the right lane, just increase your follow distance.

And as far as stopping, there are people who argue that having huge tires up front will not actually help. The reason being that yes, there is more tread on the ground, but also there is a lot more rotating mass up front that needs to be slowed down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could I run skinnys on my daily driver?