5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1980 Cobra.. What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Sparky73
1st Gear Member

Default 1980 Cobra.. What's it worth?

Hey all. Long time since I've been to this forum .. but have been looking at another Mustang. I would like to see an average value for this 1980 Cobra if possible. The eBay listing is no longer active due to the fact that I purchased the car lol. I didn't pay $1,525 as it says in the listing. The auction would have went to Saturday (the 27th) if that helps.

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180315813718
Old 12-25-2008, 08:29 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'd run the vin on that one to make sure it is what you say it is cause it has an 82 front end on it and also it'd only be of some value if it were in an all original state unmolested, that one appears to have no evidence of it being a cobra
Old 12-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...as stated ^^^ that car has a lot of mis-matched parts! $$$ you paid seems to be not that bad
Old 12-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Sparky73
1st Gear Member

Hmm.. Well I don't know much about the old Mustangs to begin with. I did some reading.. and seen that the 80' didn't even come equipt with a 302. Is that true? I will get the VIN today, but according to the seller it is just as it states "1980 Mustang Cobra (GT)" .. even according to the title.

A lot of parts like the motor and seats are not original. I know that and it does not bother me. I just wanted a car with a decent 0-60 that I can go cruising with on the summer weekends. Would anyone have a guess on the HP it's putting out?

Any guesses on it's value? NADA says like 4700 or 4900 for good, but I know that isn't very accurate on older cars.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Explosive

A cobra is not a cobra( GT) a cobra is a cobra.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:23 AM
ACE
4th Gear Member

I would guess around 230 240 ish hp because he is running almost the same setup as me only through a c4. It was probly a turbo 2.3 cobra at one time of its life. 2 grand is not a bad price for what you get!
Old 12-25-2008, 12:29 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
I'd run the vin on that one to make sure it is what you say it is cause it has an 82 front end on it and also it'd only be of some value if it were in an all original state unmolested, that one appears to have no evidence of it being a cobra
It is the correct nose for the 1980 Cobra, the 1979 Pace Car, 1980 - 81 Cobras and 1982 GT all used that front facia.

At least that one has the cowl style Pace Car/80 Cobra hood, that tells me more than likely the car was originally a 4 cyl turbo Model, as does this picture of the interior...

which would explain the 302. It had to be a transplant because the V8 offered in 80 & 81 was the anemic 255.

As far as being a Cobra GT that is BS no such thing until the Canadian version of the Mustang GT.

As far as originality the body seams mostly un-molested. The spoiler is Original OEM for that model. the only body work I see that is not original is the side rocker skirt and lower rear valance add-on they look pretty ghetto to me.
I had to LOL at his comment "1991 GT power seats (not wired up) Rear recaro seat (needs cleaned)" The rear seat is NOT Recaro it is just covered to match! The original front seats may have been as they where a carry over option from the Pace Car and that rear seat matches the pace cars.

So the basic body and the basic Cobra interior trim items minus the front seats seam to be original. The engine, fuel cell, transmission, chopped in floor shifter and added skirting are not original.

Last edited by raven_ghostwolf; 12-25-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:40 PM
symonds86
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by raven_ghostwolf
It is the correct nose for the 1980 Cobra, the 1979 Pace Car, 1980 - 81 Cobras and 1982 GT all used that front facia.

At least that one has the cowl style Pace Car/80 Cobra hood, that tells me more than likely the car was originally a 4 cyl turbo Model, as does this picture of the interior...

which would explain the 302. It had to be a transplant because the V8 offered in 80 & 81 was the anemic 255.

As far as being a Cobra GT that is BS no such thing until the Canadian version of the Mustang GT.

As far as originality the body seams mostly un-molested. The spoiler is Original OEM for that model. the only body work I see that is not original is the side rocker skirt and lower rear valance add-on they look pretty ghetto to me.
I had to LOL at his comment "1991 GT power seats (not wired up) Rear recaro seat (needs cleaned)" The rear seat is NOT Recaro it is just covered to match! The original front seats may have been as they where a carry over option from the Pace Car and that rear seat matches the pace cars.

So the basic body and the basic Cobra interior trim items minus the front seats seam to be original. The engine, fuel cell, transmission, chopped in floor shifter and added skirting are not original.
wow thats some good info, i dont think it "looks" like a bad deal in the photos, thats 1500 is what i paid for my 88 and that also had some ghettostyling like 18s and a wanna be custom dash
Old 12-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Explosive

That turbo badge looks like it was put on by someone else, telling me there is some BS going on with that car, here is a shot of my dash, notice how the turbo badge is closer to the left side ?

Another tid bit some people don't know, Cobras had an engine turn design on the dash plastic, notice it in the pic from our car I posted ? Look at the bucktag and it will tell you if it's a cobra.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:55 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
That turbo badge looks like it was put on by someone else, telling me there is some BS going on with that car, here is a shot of my dash, notice how the turbo badge is closer to the left side ?

Another tid bit some people don't know, Cobras had an engine turn design on the dash plastic, notice it in the pic from our car I posted ? Look at the bucktag and it will tell you if it's a cobra.
Yours is a 79 they made a few changes to the 80, The 79 Pace Car also had the "engine turn" on the dash to be honest I can't remember if the 80 & 81 did or not. The buck tag is a good place to look forgot about that, I know the 79 I should have bought had MOON on it's buck tag (for the moon roof) can't remember if it said Cobra though. If it does that would be the only way to know for sure as the vin will tell you nothing.

Quick Reply: 1980 Cobra.. What's it worth?