5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

School essay, need Anonymous results from car orriented people!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:00 PM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

Default School essay, need Anonymous results from car orriented people!

Im taking some economics classes this semester. Im writing a paper on using basic services properly and how it can save you money, in short term and long term time periods. I figured oil changes are a service that everyone (should be) getting. My objective is to prove fact or fiction, however i am including a questionnaire given to anonymous people (the forum guys) to support my argument.

Here it is,
*Change your oil which ever comes first every 3000 miles, 3 months (fact or fiction)
*What do you do if 3 months is up but you only have driven 1000-2000miles? Why is there a time period, as well as distance?
*Is this (3000 mile or 3 month) just a scam from BIG OIL companies to keep buying there products more often, if so should i go in longer intervals?
*Why does my owners manual say change every 5000 miles but people do every 3000 instead?

Please just keep the answers committed to non synthetic oil. I know a cars age can also play as an independent variable throughout this entire questionnaire but think of it as 75,000 130,000 miles on a good running car, (the AVERAGE miles found on most cars in a college parking lot).
Any answers will be greatly appriciated, if you can include some info about yourself, as well as anything that would make you more qualified to answer these questions better then 46yr old Danny pushing carts down at the supermarket! Thanks again
Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

u have too change our oil every 3000 miles or 3 months because the detergents in the oil break down and they do not clean as well they have done alot of new things with oil now u can get i think like 7500 miles on a oil change
Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Yes you should change you oil every 3k miles or 3 months.

There is a time period because the oil can pickup acids.

I really don't think 3 months or 3k miles is a scam. It really depends on the type of driving you are doing and the oil filter you use. It is very important to use a quality filter. Changing your oil every 3k miles will keep things cleaner.

If you are doing highway driving you could go to 5k but city doing driving the oil should be changed every 3k.

I am qualified to answer these questions because I practically grew up in a garage.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Sippix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zippo2341
*Change your oil which ever comes first every 3000 miles, 3 months (fact or fiction)
*What do you do if 3 months is up but you only have driven 1000-2000miles? Why is there a time period, as well as distance?
*Is this (3000 mile or 3 month) just a scam from BIG OIL companies to keep buying there products more often, if so should i go in longer intervals?
*Why does my owners manual say change every 5000 miles but people do every 3000 instead?
When talking about conventional motor oil only, here's the breakdown.

1. Fact - Conventional motor oils become contaminated and their molecular structure breaks down over extended periods of time/use. The contaminates can cause decrease in lubrication, become acidic/corrosive, increase carbon build-ups and begin foaming under high heat and stress from moving engine components.

2. There is a time period and a mileage because over an extended period of time, the contaminates are much more likely to build while the detergents are much more likely to break down. The same can be said for the reason behind the mileage requirements. Much of this still applies to the above.

3. No - Conventional motor oils must be replaced within this time frame/usage to prevent the above (No. 1) from happening.

4. Your car manufacturer is most likely specifying that you must use a full synthetic or synthetic blend when changing the motor oil for the durration/usage to be over 3mo./3kmiles.

A full synthetic motor oil will hold its molecular bond and the detergents clean for a much longer period of time, reducing the number of oil changes required in a period of one year (or according the the usage/mileage between oil changes). The cost of a full synthetic is much higher than a conventional motor oil, but the cost is offset by the increased oil life and decrease of maintenance. A synthetic blend will cost less than a full synthetic but more than a conventional motor oil, and is the "in between" for quality and durability.

Under normal driving circumstances and regular maintenance, a conventional motor oil will perform the same function as a full synthetic. While a conventional motor oil will require more frequent maintenance, the maintenance cost is offset by the low price and availability of conventional oil that is "distilled" from crude oil.

My name is Josh K. and I am not a qualified mechanic nor SAE certified. I can only relate my extreme prejudice when it comes to maintaining my vehicle, and the desire to use the best components for such.

Last edited by Sippix; 01-28-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: I can't count.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:01 PM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the hits, i really would like to have at least 10 responses though so if anyone else can add it would be appriciated!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

jiffy lube was the pioneer of the 3 month 3000 mile oil change, personally I go by mileage unless it is a car that sits alot like my Bronco plow truck , then I do it once a year as detergant packages break down over a period of time
Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I'll answer for my 4 cyl Subaru with turbo.

Fiction. I change the oil every 3,000 miles cause it's a small engine, I've always driven it hard, oil pan tapped for turbo. I do not change the oil due to time.

My dealer tells me no synthetic in the turbo. I go to the dealer cause they can remove the brush pan lot easier than me up on a lift and they do it for $19.99.

p.s. I use full synthetic in the stang and change every 6 months only.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 PM
hi_tek_rednek
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sippix
When talking about conventional motor oil only, here's the breakdown.

1. Fact - Conventional motor oils become contaminated and their molecular structure breaks down over extended periods of time/use. The contaminates can cause decrease in lubrication, become acidic/corrosive, increase carbon build-ups and begin foaming under high heat and stress from moving engine components.

2. There is a time period and a mileage because over an extended period of time, the contaminates are much more likely to build while the detergents are much more likely to break down. The same can be said for the reason behind the mileage requirements. Much of this still applies to the above.

3. No - Conventional motor oils must be replaced within this time frame/usage to prevent the above (No. 1) from happening.

4. Your car manufacturer is most likely specifying that you must use a full synthetic or synthetic blend when changing the motor oil for the durration/usage to be over 3mo./3kmiles.

A full synthetic motor oil will hold its molecular bond and the detergents clean for a much longer period of time, reducing the number of oil changes required in a period of one year (or according the the usage/mileage between oil changes). The cost of a full synthetic is much higher than a conventional motor oil, but the cost is offset by the increased oil life and decrease of maintenance. A synthetic blend will cost less than a full synthetic but more than a conventional motor oil, and is the "in between" for quality and durability.

Under normal driving circumstances and regular maintenance, a conventional motor oil will perform the same function as a full synthetic. While a conventional motor oil will require more frequent maintenance, the maintenance cost is offset by the low price and availability of conventional oil that is "distilled" from crude oil.
pretty much sums it up .

i'm a 37 yr old former ASE certified mechanic in engine repair and engine performance. (cert expired) been working on cars,trucks,dirt bikes and go carts since i was about 12yrs old.