5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:33 PM
thePH03NIX
1st Gear Member

Default cams

ok i'll start off by saying i'm a bit new at mustangs and cars in general really, but what's the advantage of a cam? and what kind of power can you gain from one? i have a 94 gt, and i don't have any mods besides exhaust, what might i expect to gain from a better cam?
Old 01-29-2009, 03:10 PM
crueheadstang87
3rd Gear Member

a cam wont do you any good in a stock car. It might even hurt your performance, IF your gonna go through all the trouble of doing a cam swap you might as well go ahead and put on a new set of heads and intake to match it. Then you will see a nice power gain.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:40 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

^^this is the reason you usually see people doing head/cam/intake(h/c/i) swaps all at once. The advantage of a cam is to have more lift and usually more duration to allow more air and more time for it to enter and exit the chambers. One thing that alot of people don't pay attention to is the lobe seperatation angle. Just because the numbers are bigger doesn't mean that it is better than what you have either.Cams that are close in numbers can produce bigger differences in results.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Even on a stock engine there is room for improvement. The secret is not to greedy with the cam. There are a good many good upgrade cams available
Old 01-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Explosive

Might as well do the heads and intake while you're at it. They make head/cam/intake kits as well, look into edelbrock and trick flows website.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:28 AM
thePH03NIX
1st Gear Member

well what i wanna get is the trick flow street burner intake, and i'm not sure on the heads or cam yet...was thinking of going with tfs heads too, but if i go with trick flow for the heads and intake, should i just stick with trick flow the whole way? or could there be an advantage of using different brands
Old 01-30-2009, 10:44 AM
crueheadstang87
3rd Gear Member

the trickflow and holley top end kits make good power but you can mix and match different brands and get even more power. The twisted wedge head is a good choice but afr's are better, as for the cam a custom grind from cam innovations is always the best way to go, but trickflow, comp cams, and steeda make good ots cams as well. The Ford letter cams are good but are old technology and are single pattern cams, The comp cams xe series are very popular if a custom cam is out of your budget.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Buy the entire TrickFlow street burner kit. You will save a bundle over buying the parts seperatly. Nice kit for street cars
Old 01-30-2009, 05:51 PM
thePH03NIX
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Buy the entire TrickFlow street burner kit. You will save a bundle over buying the parts seperatly. Nice kit for street cars

how much is the whole kit? i went to the website earlier and didn't see a price, but then again i only briefly looked at it, and will i have to upgrade anything else if i get the kit?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Explosive

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Quick Reply: cams