5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

starter/starter selinoid problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

Default starter/starter selinoid problems

alright so the other day my car wouldnt start...thought it was starter but got it tested and it was fine. bought a heav duty starter noid and put it in. problem fixed...drove it that day and had no problems untill i was on my way to work that night, stopped somewhere, shut car off for a few minutes, then started it again. it made a weird noise so i shut it off very fast. well shutting it off shut the motor down but the starter just kept turning. it was a slow turn though so not enough to start car(basically as if you were to hook starter to battery and not to noid so it doesnt crank as fast) it just kept going so i unplugged neg on battery and went and got a new noid(same heavy duty one) just thinking that one was faulty. well tonight i go to drive it to work and same damn thing happens to me(after driving it today and starting it several times) i just dont get it, it will work for a few starts/shutdowns/ect but then just frys and keeps cranking the starter over....wtf is going on??!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 PM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

well i went back and read several threads on this and none of them really said too much other than people had to go through a few noids before getting one that works for their car. im not sure how many times this store will let me change this peice out though and i dont want to keep doing it if it doesnt fix the problem. it could also be the ignition switch but im not 100% sure where its at and i dont want to mess something else up in the process. if anyone has pictures of this and would post them and location ect that would help me out alot
Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Correct hook up to the solenoid for a 86 thru 91 is this

92 - 93 is this
Old 02-19-2009, 10:30 AM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

thanks...its hooked up right and its a 88 btw. im just wondering if this just happens to be two bad selinoids or if its something else liek ignition. the noid i have bought(2) is a BWD select # s5049 and its done this to me twice now. im not sure what the old one is but the only numbers i see on it(on back) read UNI9-07

should i try a different model selenoid? or do you think its ignition burning these things up? i went out this morning plugged my battery back up and it didnt automatically turn starter so i started car. it was fine. shut it down after about a minute the tried to start it again and the starter stuck on again. i then went and hit the noid with a wrench and starter shut off. sounds liek its noid to me but i want all thoguhts
Old 02-19-2009, 11:29 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Yeah, I would try a different brand
Old 02-19-2009, 12:29 PM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

i just dont see why these things would keep popping. i know my car is high compression and im using alot to crank it over but i never had a problem with my old one until now and every new one i put on works for a few starts but then sticks and wants to keep cranking the car. i went to go see if i could get it to do it again to see if im getting current from ignition feed wire but now i get nothing like the battery is dea but i charged it and i know its full charge. i just know that when it kept carnking i hit it and it stopped so that makes me think its the noid but something has to be making it do that...right? im just getting sick of it and i torn into the column and looked at ignition module and it looked good but im not 100% sure that it is and i may just replace it anyway if i can find the tool to get the bolts out
Old 02-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Catchpole
2nd Gear Member

Mine did the exact same thing, this is how I fixed it.

Hit it with a hammer or crecent wrench lightly and it should disengage I drove around like that for a few months, every couple weeks I'd just have to jump out and hit it once or twice, it progressively got worse until I got tired of it.

I put in a new one from autozone, just the mid price one and it did it once more and the wrench trick fixed it and I've been goin strong for 6 or so months.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:21 PM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

haha i want to fix this right though so it doesnt happen to me again. what brands/models have you guys had good luck with? keep in mind this needs to be pretty heavy duty because high compression ect. advance auto is getting sick of me coming in with burn up noids lol
Old 02-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Catchpole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onesickstang01
haha i want to fix this right though so it doesnt happen to me again. what brands/models have you guys had good luck with? keep in mind this needs to be pretty heavy duty because high compression ect. advance auto is getting sick of me coming in with burn up noids lol
Buy one from Ford or something, I could see one or two bad luck parts, but anything more and there's got to be somethin wrong with wires/something else.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:52 AM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

i cant even find one from ford. ive done searches but all i come up with is **** and i dont have time to actually go to a dealership and order one

Quick Reply: starter/starter selinoid problems